Thursday, September 5, 2013

Macro Bowls


Over the last 6 weeks I have made a drastic change to my diet. I will get into the details ( and reasons for the change ) in another post but let me tell you, I've never felt better. I've not only eliminated the occasional dairy cheats but also sugar, gluten, most soy ( except for some miso and a little tamari ) and (gasp!) nightly wine consumption.
I've added daily supplements like pro-biotics, B12, B-1, and vit E. As well as Chlorophyll, Chlorella, and Spirulina. On top of this I've greatly increased my water intake, my cardio ( road running, treadmill running and the elliptical machine ) and I've added weight training on top of my weekly ( weather and waves permitting ) stand-up paddling, surfing, mountain trail hiking and yoga sessions

Things I'm still working on: cutting back on coffee and the occasional glass or 2 of wine once a week ( I might keep both of these treats in the rotation though ).

Results so far...
lost of about 5 pounds and inches in my waist, hips, and thighs. ( 111lbs to about 106lbs )
all belly/gut bloating gone
morning facial puffiness gone
decreased mucus and sinus pressure
eczema on hands
increased endurance
increase in strength ( really noticing this while surfing )
massive increase in energy
cravings for sugar and wine gone

So with that being said, I'm continuing on my path. Just a note though, it was never about weight loss. I lost all of the 5 pounds within the first 2 weeks and then it stabilized. I think a lot of the weight loss was actually fluid retention for I am naturally pretty lean and wasn't really looking to lose weight. The exercise increase happened when my energy spiked and I was looking for outlets to expel it. 

So this leads me to the point of this post, Macro Bowls!

One of my favorite things to eat for lunch or dinner these days is a giant bowl filled with a mixture of delicious veggies and grains. I've been rotating gluten-free bowl meals like a vegetarian Nicoise Salads,  Korean Bimbibap, Mexican Posole and my most recent favorite meal, from the Macrobiotic Diet: the Macro Bowl.

Macro Bowls are perfectly balanced meals consisting of...

50% Grains ( I used quinoa ) but traditionally you would used brown rice, barley or millet.

30-35% raw or cooked veggies ( I used romaine, radish sprouts and carrots today ) but lightly steamed or sauteed dark leafy greens would be ideal.

10% beans ( I used French lentils ) garbanzo or adzuki beans would be great

5% fermented veggies ( I used organic sugar and vinegar free sauerkraut ) or kim chi would work. Kim chi is plentiful in Hawaii but it's been hard to find one without MSG added to it,

5% sea vegetables ( I used ground dulse ) crumbled nori or wakame would work too.

Top with a dressing of your choice. I used an addictive combo of tahini, unpasteurized light miso, lemon juice and water. I also added a sprinkle of sesame seeds. So good!

Give it a Macro Bowl a try! Let me know any great combos you come up with!

ALOHA

No comments:

Post a Comment