Friday, June 28, 2013

Namasu

Who doesn't love that pickled cucumber salad at Japanese sushi bars?
I was a bit bored yesterday so I decided to make my own version of "Namasu" with some left over salad vegetables I picked up at the farmer's market this week. This was super easy and was a great side dish to the Vegetarian Bibimbap I made for dinner last night. I also think this would be perfect on Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches as well.
 
 
Namasu
-vegan-
28 oz Mason Jar full of sliced veggies
I used a English cucumber, carrots, French Breakfast radishes, Maui onion, and Serrano chilies
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar ( I used local raw sugar with has a very light brown shade )
3 tsp salt ( I used Himalayan )
Top pickled namasu with toasted sesame seeds before serving.
 
Combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a small sauce pan over medium heat until sugar and salt dissolves. Toss sliced veggies and place in Mason Jar and pour cooled dressing in jar until all veggies are covered. Place in fridge and let pickle for several hours. Veggies should condense down to half of the jar. This should last in the fridge for a few days.
 
ALOHA


No comments:

Post a Comment