Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pumpkin Chipotle Soup

I came up with this insanely good Pumpkin Chipotle Soup while paddleboarding on Thanksgiving day. Weird, I know... but with Carlos working Thanksgiving night, I was going to be spending the half the holiday solo. No need to feel bad for me, I had other options that night but after a very long work week I was looking forward to a quiet and lazy evening with my cat reading magazines. Don't judge. National holidays are a great excuse to do absolutely nothing.
So despite feeling a bit anti-social lately, I still wanted to make something "holiday like" for dinner that evening. 
OMG
This soup was ridiculous!!! And it literally took me like 10 minutes to throw together. No joke. It was so good that Carlos came home that night and just drank the rest cold! I made it again for lunch the next day AND the next! I'm in love!
 
Pumpkin Chipotle Soup
-vegan-
serves 3-4
1 Tb cooking oil ( I used organic sunflower )
1 large sweet onion chopped ( I used a Maui )
1/2 Tb ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1-2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce ( warning: I used 2 but I like it HOT!)
1, 14oz can pumpkin puree ( plain not pumpkin pie filling )
2 cups GOOD quality veggie broth
1 cup light coconut milk
1/2 lime juiced
salt
( I used 2 generous pinches but you can adjust as you go )
 
optional:
chopped cilantro, chives or scallions for toppings
 
1. In a large soup pan on med/high heat saute chopped onion in oil until translucent.
 
2. Add cumin and coriander and saute another 30 seconds until fragrant.
 
3. Add veggie broth and bring to a boil.
 
4. Stir in pumpkin puree, chipotle chilies, coconut milk, salt and bring to a boil again for about 2-3 minutes.
 
5. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
 
6. Place soup in a blender ( Be very careful if soup is very hot. Go really really slow with the blender so the hot soup does not explode out of the top. Blend in small batches if necessary to avoid problems. ) I started blending very slowly and then slowly increase the speed. Blend soup until everything is smooth and combined. Taste and add more salt if needed.
 
7. Top with chopped cilantro, scallions or chives. 
 
ALOHA
 


1 comment:

  1. sounds delicious! and i have some extra chipotle peppers in adobo that i need to use (as well as most of these ingredients on hand already!) definitely making this tonight.

    ReplyDelete