Friday, July 13, 2012

Grocery Day

{ Rainbow papaya, soursop, abiu, star apples, and longans }

I got up extra early today to make sure I had time to go to my favorite farmer's market in Kahalui before work. I love the market during the summer months because the exotic fruit selection is always so fun. Check out what I picked up!

{ Thai green papaya, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, Roma tomatoes }

{ avocado, limes, lemons, red onion, shallots, garlic and ginger }

{ kale, cilantro, mint, sage, thyme }

Even with a garden of my own it's hard not to resist huge bags of herbs for only a dollar!
Today I decided to freeze my sage and thyme for later use. For the sage I placed the whole leaves (with stems still attached) in a Ziploc bag. However for the thyme I decided to stripped the tiny leaves from the stems and place them in an ice cube tray. I then filled the tray with a small amount of water and placed it in the freezer. Once frozen, I put the "cubed" herbs in a Ziploc bag and returned it to the freezer for later use. These are perfect to throw into a soup, stir fry or to defrost and add to a marinade or dressing. Yum!


Easy!

See you soon!

ALOHA

2 comments:

  1. Wow you have some great finds there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a great idea! i always waste fresh herbs but will definitely use my ice cube tray next time. thanks!

    ReplyDelete