Saturday, July 14, 2012

Habanero Salsa

This was inspired by a homemade salsa at a restaurant in downtown Lahaina that I've been frequenting for years. It's rarely brought to the table so you have to know to ask for it. It's insanely good and crazy hot. I have no idea why I haven't tried to replicate it at home until now??
I'll have to admit my version is slightly "sweeter" (the sundried tomatoes I think?) but has the right consistency and the perfect amount of heat. Change the super spicy habaneros out for a milder pepper if you must but I thinking not. I truly believe the powerful clean heat of the habanero is the best part of the salsa. However, you've been warned.

Habanero Salsa
-vegan-
3 raw red bell peppers roughly chopped
1/2 medium sweet onion, peeled ( I used a Maui Onion )
4 peeled garlic cloves
juice of 1/2 of a juicy lime
1 Tb red wine vinegar
5 sundried tomatoes 
small handful of cilantro ( fresh coriander )
2 medium habaneros ( I used the whole pepper, hot seeds and all! )
1/4 to 1/2 tsp salt ( start with 1/4 blend and then add more if needed )

Throw everything in a highspeed blender and blend until smooth. The consistency should be a cross between a hot sauce and a salsa. Also, be careful handling habanero peppers especially if you plan on removing the seeds (those are the hottest part!!). Consider wearing rubber gloves and never ever touch your eyes after working with hot peppers! Trust me, I learned the hard way....

This is fantastic as a dip or drizzled on top of just about anything else!

ALOHA 

No comments:

Post a Comment