Tuesday, May 8, 2012

No-Bake Vegan "Donut Holes"

Since my return to Hawaii ( from 3 weeks on the Mainland ) I have committed myself to a slight "detox" diet to cleanse away all the wine, cheese and Key Lime Pie I managed to consume from coast to coast. For the time being I'm sticking to lots of fresh green juices, large salads, fats like avocados and whole grain carbs like quinoa and oatmeal. I have eliminated things like coffee, wine, dairy, white flour, white rice, pasta and sugar. 
I don't really have a time frame with this "cleanse". I'm just going to keep going until I feel like stopping. Low pressure as always.
So, to make this transition a little bit easier I decided to throw together a quick sweet treat to quench any sort of sweet cravings I might encounter over the next few days or weeks ahead. These little "donut holes" were so easy to make and ended up being so good I just had to post them. Check it out!

No-Bake Vegan "Donut Holes"
makes 10-12

1 cup ground regular oatmeal ( dry )
( I used plain ol' Quaker and grounded to a fine meal in my coffee grinder in two batches. Easy. ) 
3/4 cup creamy almond butter
1/3 golden raisins
2 Tbs agave or maple syrup ( honey for non-vegans )
2 Tbs cacao nibs
2 Tbs sesame seeds
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp cinnamon
2 generous pinches of sea salt
1/4 cup cacao powder to roll donuts in

First grind up oats. Then, place all ingredients except the cacao powder in a food processor and pulse until well combined ( dough should look moist and crumbly when finished ). Next, form dough into small 1.5" balls ( if dough is too dry to do this, toss back in processor and add another Tb or two of almond butter ). Then roll balls in cacao powder and chill to set.  


No comments:

Post a Comment