Sunday, March 18, 2012

Farmer's Market Dinners

{ Green Papaya Salad with Summer Rolls made with beets, carrots, cucumbers, mint, cilantro, and mixed greens along with a homemade Maui Gold pineapple dipping sauce. Delish! }

With Carlos working almost every single night until we leave for vacation I've been making dinner for myself almost everyday and I'm sort of loving it. My meals have been flip flopping between my Vegetarian Pho, Summer Rolls, or Green Papaya Salads with ingredients that I have been picking up at the Farmer's Market at TJ Oriental market in Kahului every single Friday morning.
I spend about $10 worth of gas to purchase about $40-$50 worth of fruit and veggies and I live on this all week long. It's absolutely fabulous. Who knew you could eat so well at this price on Maui? I can even purchase my Pho rice noodles, rice paper wrappers, Aloha Shoyu and sriracha there for a fraction of what I pay any place else on island. Amazing!

A typical shopping trip these days includes....

2 packs of rice noodles ( $1.40 for 16 oz! )
about 6 cucumbers for juicing
2-3 lbs of kale for juicing
Fuji apples for juicing
2 bags of baby spinach
2 bags of mixed Kula greens for salads
5-6 Meyer lemons
5-6 Tahitian limes
a large bag of Shiitake mushrooms ( $5! )
4 Rainbow papayas ( 4 for $5! )
2 Thai green papayas
2 sweet potatoes
3-4 Hawaiian oranges
1 Maui Gold pineapple
apple bananas
6 baby bok choi ( $2! )
Maui onions ( a large bag for only $5! )
4-5 stalks of lemongrass
bag of mint, bag of cilantro, bag of Thai basil, and green onions ( each only $1! )
and....
some extra veggie ( this week it was bundle of Waipoli asparagus )
and....
some exotic seasonal fruit selection ( been picking up Chocolate Sapotes!, Rambutans, Star Apple or Lychee these days )
Need to try....
the huge Jackfruit and Durian asap!

Note: As far as I know, everything I've been purchasing at TJs market is grown fresh on Maui, Molokai, or the Big Island of Hawaii ( with the exception of apples for apples are not typically grown in our tropical climate.  )

{ So happy that the Thai green papayas are back in season!!! I love my green papaya salads! }

See you soon!

ALOHA

4 comments:

  1. I love green papaya salads too. Thanks for posting your recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired me to make fresh spring rolls last weekend and they were amazing but I think I didn't stuff them enough. I can't wait to make more! Really the most labor intensive thing is chopping the veggies - the wraps are so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those summer rolls look incredible! i just tried making spring rolls and the frying was such a disaster.. im gonna try yours this week. do you buy the wrappers that have to be soaked first or are yours soft when you buy them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy:) I buy the wrappers that need to be soaked first in hot water.

    ReplyDelete