Saturday, February 11, 2012

Roasted Spicy Maple Brussel Sprouts

I have never in my life had brussel sprouts until this week. I have no idea why? Maybe my parents didn't like them or something but I've honestly never been served them before. Anyway, I saw some for like nothing at the farmer's market last week in Kahului so I figured I'd test them out. Wow! This preparation I came up with was spot on! I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't just love a roasted brussel sprout! So glad I took the chance!
 Are there any common foods out there that you've never tried? I've also never had.... cheese fondue, a steak, pickles ( can't get pass the smell ) or sauerkraut. Random. 

Spicy Maple Brussel Sprouts
( recipe similar to THIS one )
-vegan-
10-12 trimmed brussel sprouts
2 Tbs olive oil
salt/pepper
3 Tbs maple syrup
1 tsp hot pepper flakes
2 tsp sesame seeds
Pre-heat oven to 400. Line cookie sheet with tin foil and spray with oil. Peel and trim brussel sprouts, cut in half and place in medium size bowl. Add 3 Tbs olive oil, a couple small pinches of salt/pepper and toss. Place oiled brussel spouts on the lined cookie sheet cut side up and bake for 5-7 mins.
Remove brussel sprouts from oven and place back into medium bowl. Add maple syrup, hot pepper, and sesame seeds. Toss and then return to oven. Roast another 5-7 minutes until golden brown. Done!




These were delicious with a side of quinoa and grill organic sprouted tofu!

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous meal! I love brussels, glad you are a fan now too!

    The glaze you used on these sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhhh i never thought about maple and pepper with brussel sprouts! can't wait to try it....so excited! You know brussel spouts are my favorite right?

    here's my best b.s. recipe...
    http://thehinzadventures.blogspot.com/2011/08/recipe-youve-been-waiting-for.html

    xoxo from Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this. Hope I get Brussels with my CSA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never had brussel sprouts either, but your picture and recipe makes me want to try it!

    Midwest Amy

    ReplyDelete