Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Yellow Suriname Cherry?

This crazy tree is about a block away from my house. I've been watching it for years now and it's driving me seriously nuts. What are these bright yellow berries growing all over it? The tree blossoms about twice a year so I'm seriously stumped?? Up close they look like miniature glossy pumpkins so the only thing I can think of is a Suriname Cherry? However, I've only seen Suriname Cherries colored bright orange to dark red. This mystery fruit stays yellow.
Any ideas?? Cause I'm seriously about to go knock on this guy's door to ask.....
HELP!

5 comments:

  1. I've never seen such a tree. It looks tasty though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is gooseberry, I is very sour, yet very very tasty, I love it. Try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a type of Gooseberry..very tasty. It is even tastier when you boil that with some sugar.. It will be red in colour by the time its cooked. Let it cool and taste it. ..Yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Origin and distribution This tropical or subtropical species is thought to originate in Madagascar, then carried to the East Indies. Now it is generally found in South India, and Southeast Asian countries, such as Southern Vietnam, Laos, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Northern Malaya. It also occurs in the Indian Ocean islands of Mauritius, RĂ©union and Rodrigues and also in Guam, Hawaii and several other Pacific islands. In 1793, the plant was introduced to Jamaica (where it is commonly referred to as "Jumbilin" or "Jimbilin") from Timor. From there, it progressively spread to the whole Caribbean region, as far as the Bahamas or Bermuda and Nevis. It is now naturalized in Central and South America.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my language in Guam it's called Iba. Sour and delish right off the tree or pickled!

    ReplyDelete