Tuesday, November 1, 2011

The Apple Galette

Happy November everyone! One of my most favorite months of the year on Maui thanks to the arrival of our famous winter surf, the scent of Pikake in the air, and the return of our amazing humpback whales! I love!
It's also my most favorite time of the year in the kitchen! Fall and holiday dishes are the best aren't they? Get ready because I got some good ones coming up!

Let me introduce to you the perfect "lazy girl" dessert....

The Apple Galette

I say this because as much as I love to cook I'm really not much of a baker. I don't know...too much measuring and exact ingredients tend to stress me out. However, this is something I can do. Talk about an amazing way to impress. Isn't this beautiful? It's shocking how easy this is to throw together too. Especially if you decide to skip steps like me and buy a pre-made pie crust instead of making one. Seriously, most people will have a hard time telling the difference ( I hope ). This way, by using a pre-made crust the hardest part about making this gorgeous dessert is just peeling and coring two apples. I think we can handle that right?

The Apple Galette
-vegetarian-
adapted from epicurious.com
2 large apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
one 9" pie crust placed on parchment paper
1 tsp vanilla paste ( optional but well worth it )
1/2 tsp lemon zest
3 Tbs coarse sugar
3 Tbs apricot perserves ( I like Bonne Maman )
wisked egg or milk for "wash"
Preheat oven to 450. Slice apples and toss in a medium bowl with lemon zest, 2 Tbs sugar, and vanilla paste. Then, spread apricot preserves on pie crust resting on parchment paper. Next, arrange apples on pie crust in concentric circles leaving about 1.5" along the perimeter. After that, fold edge of pie crust over apples.
To finish, brush beaten egg or milk along exposed crust and sprinkle galette with remaining 1 Tb sugar.
Transfer galette to parchment lined cookie sheet and bake at 450 for 18-20 minutes. Reduce temperature to 375 and bake for another 30 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and with a sharp knife, separate galette from parchment paper. Let cool for 10 minutes before removing from parchment. Serve warm or at room temperature.
 This is delicious served with a cheese course!

{ thinly sliced Gala apples }

{ Meyer lemon zest }

{ organic sugar }

{ apricot perserves }

{ arrange the apples slices on the pie crust }

{ fold crust and sprinkle with sugar }

{ Bake }

{ slice and serve }

Beautiful....

No comments:

Post a Comment