Friday, November 18, 2011

Aloha Friday ~ Pumpkin Shortage

Living on a small island in the middle of nowhere has some downfalls...
Bell peppers cost like $7 each, shopping online leads to ridiculous shipping charges, and pureed pumpkin is nearly impossible to find 10 months out of the year.
So now you can understand why I was seriously about to have a complete meltdown by the end of October when I STILL could not find pureed pumpkin on the island. I repeat...COMPLETE MELTDOWN! Until of course when I finally resorted to checking the forbidden place....Walmart don't judge. Yes, I found canned pumpkin at Walmart ( of course right? ) So, in order to advert any more major breakdowns this upcoming holiday season or any more stops at the one place on Maui I usually refuse to give my business to, I did what any sane women would do....I bought 25 cans. Yep, $50 dollars worth of the stuff. That's half of our grocery budget for the week folks. I think I scored. I should be good until the end of 2012.

Happy ALOHA FRIDAY everyone! See you next week!

2 comments:

  1. I would do the same thing!! :) And I dont judge you for shopping at Walmart, either. It gets expensive to feed our family of 4. And its funny that you wrote about pumpkins because the kids and I *just* made pumpkin bread last night with the Halloween pumpkins on our porch. And small confession: I actually was going to throw them out ...which, I know for you is maddening considering your shortage! Happy cooking :)
    Amy from Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh had. I know about stocking up....we recently moved home to Nigeria, but not before my kids developed a love for Graham Crackers. Thankfully, we could find them when we got here....at roughly 8/9 times the cost. But I humuored them. I too have pumpkin puree at home....one can though!

    ReplyDelete