Monday, October 3, 2011

Spicy Tomato Jam

The first Tomato Jam I ever had was at the beautiful casual dining lounge at the Hotel Hana Maui many many years ago. I remember it like it was yesterday.....
We drove to Hana after work on a very rainy night. I was starving once we arrived ( big surprise ) and soon after we checked into our villa I ran to my favorite place ever, The Paniolo Bar.  I remember it being "chilly" enough that the bar's lava rock fireplace was going which is always so nice. The lounge is also very open to the elements so the juxtaposition of the fire and the downpour a few feet away created a unforgettable atmosphere... After staring at the menu for a couple of minutes I decided on the Sweet Hamakua Tomato Jam with Surfing Goat Dairy Goat Cheese appetizer. Wow! This could not have been more simple or more perfect. What a beautiful way to showcase island ripe tomatoes and my favorite Maui made cheese! I'll never forget it. What a perfect end to a long day.
Every trip to Hana after that I have searched and searched the Paniolo menu for this beautiful jam. Unfortunately, I have not seen it since that one trip ( however they now serve THIS , which is also fab ). So, I gave up and finally decided make my own version!
I found the most incredible Tomato Jam recipe HERE. It's sweet, fragrant and perfectly spicy. It almost reminds me of a decadent chutney!
Please check it out!!
{ cooking it down for over an hour }


{ This Jam makes an incredible goat cheese panini!! Just so you know...}

No comments:

Post a Comment