Monday, October 17, 2011

The Ice Cream Bean

I can't even tell you how long I've been searching for this bizarre fruit! 
Meet the elusive ICE CREAM BEAN!
I am so excited!! I just happened to be in Paia the other day and made a quick stop in Mana Foods for some agave and there they were! Just sitting there next to the common apple banana!

I've never tried the Ice Cream Bean before so I had no idea what to expect. I was just drawn in by the great name. Good marketing by the way....

After peeling back the thick green skin, remove the white creamy pith and remove the large dark seed. Now it's ready to eat!
The verdict...
Delicious! The taste is sort of a cross between a banana and an apple with a splash of vanilla. And the texture? Sort of like a wet cotton ball but I don't mean that in a negative way at all. Unfortunately I only bought two of them because I wasn't sure if I would like it. Now I'm bummed I didn't grab more....
Maybe I'll find myself back in Paia next weekend?

ALOHA!

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm....weird but interesting! Mail me one! :-)
    xoxo from Trinidad

    ReplyDelete
  2. These trees are incredibly easy and hearty to grow -- we live near the volcano on the big Island, and in one year from planting a cutting of a branch in very rocky, wet soil, our trees are over 30 feet tall and give off plenty (choke!) beans. These wonderful plants are also nitrogen fixers, and they heal the ground around them -- everything near or around our bean trees is lush and happy. The bean meat is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am at 1850 ft in Holualoa. I have a tree about 3 years old and 15 ft tall. Lots of flowers but no beans at all. It gets fertilizer and we get plenty of rain. Any hope for fruit?

    ReplyDelete