Monday, September 5, 2011

Cranberry, Citrus and Kale Salad


,
It's the start of kale season on Maui!
 Thanks to this, I'm happy to say that a bundle of organic kale dropped from $4 down to $2 at my local health food store! Wow! What a difference!
So, with all this kale on hand I've been making salads as well as my daily green juices. What a great way to eat a ton of this healthy green!
 Check it out!

Cranberry and Citrus Kale Salad
-vegetarian-
serves 4
2 large bundles of organic kale thinly chopped
1/4 cup dried cranberries or dried bing cherries
a large handful of shaved pecorino romano cheese
1/4 cup lemon juice ( about 2 lemons )
2 Tbs rice wine vinegar
2.5 Tbs honey
1/4 cup grapeseed oil ( or another mild nutty oil )
generous pinch of salt
Chop kale into thin strips. Then, in a bender, mix lemon juice, honey, vinegar, and salt. While blender is running, slowly pour in oil until combined. Next, pour over kale, add cranberries and toss. Then, massage kale with hands for about 2-3 minutes until kale becomes slightly wilted. Place in refrigerator for about an hour to chill and to tenderize kale. When ready to serve, add shaved cheese. Done!
This was awesome with a side of quinoa cooked in orange juice by the way...

{ Chop kale! }

{ Toss with dressing, massage, place in fridge. }

{ Top with shaved pecorino and dive in! }

ALOHA!

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks SO good! I need to get some grapeseed oil! My favorite is Kale and wild rice tossed together! yum!

    Laurel
    @ Beyond function.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The picture looked very pretty, so my coworker & I decided we'd try it (BTW, love all your pictures on the site!). We both never had kale before, so we didnt know what to expect; however, it was DELICIOUS. I can only assume that if given another hour in the fridge, the kale would "tenderize" even more & absorbed more of the vinegarette. I will make this again :)

    ReplyDelete