Monday, August 8, 2011

Raw Vegan Tacos

Okay...So I know I just made some delicious Veggie Tacos for you a couple of weeks ago but I'm going to do it again. This time, however, there will be no ovens, grills, or hot kitchens to deal with.
Now I can't take any credit for these totally awesome Raw Vegan Tacos because I found them through Dawn's, "Florida Coastal Cooking" blog where she credits, "My New Roots" with the original recipe.
I see similar yummy looking raw tacos like these at Whole Foods all the time but at $9 a small serving, I. JUST. CAN'T. But thanks to this authentic tasting raw recipe, I can simply make my own at home! So excited! 
Be sure to check out the original recipe here. You'll be happy you did! The chef includes a beautiful salsa recipe as well.

Raw walnuts processed with a few spices turns into this...

I'll just say that it's freakishly close to taco meat!
{ FYI- It's all in the spices kiddos...}

Taco Meat
-raw vegan-
1 cup walnuts
1 Tb nama shoyu ( or tarmari )
1 tsp olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp ground chipotle pepper
(I also added 1/4 tsp coriander and 1/4 tsp chili powder)
Process all in a food processor until small crumbles form.

Then, add whatever toppings you like....I cut up avocados, whipped up the suggested raw vegan sour "cream" ( see recipe below ), and made a salsa fresca with a mix of  tomatoes, hot peppers, onions, cilantro, lime juice, salt.


Sour "Cream"
-raw vegan-
1/2 cup raw cashews ( I soaked these for about 2 hours, rinsed, then drained them. )
1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar
1/2 of a lemon juiced
3-5 Tbs of water depending on how thick or thin you want your sour "cream"
( I also added a pinch of salt )
Blend all ingredients except water in a high speed blender. Slowing add water until desired consistency is reached.

 Now just layer it all together on top of a large lettuce leaf, add a squeeze of lime, fold, and eat!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I swear.....it really is one of my favorites and I can't wait to try the walnut "meat" in other ways! I made your pad thai last night and it was perfect because there was no peanut in the actual sauce so I could serve it to my daughter and then add the peanuts afterwards for myself! I will post a photo and link to you soon on a "what the heck am I eating now that I'm not eating meat" post I'm working on because I get that question a lot lately.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey! I'm so happy you made the Pad Thai! I need to make it again soon too. So yummy. Carlos ate all the left overs after I went to bed that night so I only got a small serving :(

    ReplyDelete