Monday, August 29, 2011

Creamy Corn and Ginger Soup

 A few weeks ago I was inspired by a delicious looking corn and coconut soup recipe on the blog "Choosing Raw".  This Sunday, I finally decided to make my own version...
However, I wanted to give my soup an Asian spin so I added a big chunk of  fresh ginger.
Wow! The combo of ginger, corn and coconut milk tasted incredible!
I ended up using canned corn instead of fresh because I have a ton of it in the pantry. Fresh corn would step this up a notch for sure, but if you want a soup that's really quick to throw together, feel free to use canned. 

Creamy Corn and Ginger Soup
-vegan-
2, 15 oz cans of corn, drained ( or 3 cups fresh or frozen corn )
2 cups of plain almond milk
1 cup coconut milk ( light or full fat )
1 yellow onion diced
2" chopped fresh ginger
1 clove of garlic crushed
2 tsp curry powder ( optional )
1 tsp mild vegetable oil
1.5 tsp sea salt
   chopped herbs like chives or cilantro for garnish
In a large soup pan, saute diced onion in the veggie oil until translucent ( about 5 minutes ). Add crushed garlic and ginger and saute for another 2-3 minutes. Add almond milk, coconut milk, corn, curry ( if using ) and salt. Cook until corn is heated through.
Add soup ( small batches at a time ) to a blender. Blend soup on low and slowly increase speed. Blend until very smooth. Be very careful because hot soup has a tendency to "explode" if blended too quickly in a blender.
Serve soup topped with your favorite Asian herbs.
{ simple ingredients }

{ optional }

{ blend slowly }

{ Enjoy! }

ALOHA

5 comments:

  1. This looks totally delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi from Veggie Table! So glad you left me a comment - I'm loving your blog! The soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like amazing flavors! I love anything with curry powder and coconut milk!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Information. Thank you for sharing and I want to share information about Tandoori Dragon, a Indian-Chinese Cuisine in Hackensack, Paramus, Saddle Brook and Maywood NJ, realizes the growing popularity of Indian Chinese cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thiz soup seems to be delicious! Iam gonna hav it today..

    ReplyDelete