Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Vegan Pad Thai

Pad Thai
My most favorite dish on the planet.
But for some reason I've never really made it at home??
Until I found this...
 The secret ingredient!
My life is suddenly complete.

Pad Thai is pretty much my staple anytime I go out for Thai Food. I've had insanely good attempts at Pad Thai everywhere from Sydney to Charleston and luckily "Thai Chef" on Maui makes a delicious vegan version for me as well...
I love my Pad Thai,  I truly do... but the one thing I could do without is the greasy/ heavy feeling I always get after my Thai meals. Boo.
So this leads me to my creation...
I wanted a delicious Pad Thai that was vegan friendly, one that had all the key flavors ( salty, sweet, and sour ) and one that didn't leave a rock in my stomach at the end. Simple enough right?
 I actually think I pulled it off!

Pad Thai
-vegan-
serves 4
12 oz rice noodles ( I used thin but I'm sure wider noodles would be delish! )
( 1 ) 8 oz pack of extra firm organic tofu cut into cubes ( + 1 tsp veggie oil for stir frying it )
1 small thinly sliced Napa Cabbage ( or Bok Choy )
2 medium carrots cut into match sticks
2 shallots
8 cloves of crushed garlic
extra veggie oil for stir frying

For Sauce
2 Tbs tamarind paste
1/2 cup water
1 Tb chili garlic paste
8 Tbs soy sauce
7 Tbs brown sugar

For Garnish
cilantro ( coriander )
sliced green onions
crushed peanuts
sliced limes

1. Boil pot of water. Add noodles and remove from heat. Soak in hot water until soft yet still a bit chewy ( you will be stir frying these soon so they will continue to cook and soften ) Drain, rinse and drain again. Set aside.

2. Stir fry tofu cubes until brown in medium pan over med/high heat. Remove from heat and set aside.

3. In a small sauce pan over medium heat add all "Sauce" ingredients until well blended and sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and set aside.

4. In a large skillet ( like a wok ) on med/high heat add 1-2 Tbs of veggie oil. Stir fry shallots and crushed garlic for about 1 minute. Add cabbage and carrots and stir fry about 2-3 more minutes. Add drained noodles and about 1/2 of the sauce and stir fry until well combined. Add cooked tofu and toss with remaining sauce. Toss and cook over med/high heat until all liquid is absorbed. Taste and add more soy sauce if need be. Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro, green onions, peanuts, and sliced limes.

{ rice noodles }

{ extra firm tofu }

{ stir fry veggies }

{ add the noodles and sauce }

{ and then the tofu }

{ Add your toppings and enjoy!!! }

Aloha!!

1 comment:

  1. I will have to see if I can find the tamarind sauce on line. Pad Thai is one of my favorite dishes as well.

    ReplyDelete