Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tomato and Avocado Cuban Salad


At first glance this looks like a classic salsa fresca right? Chunky tomatoes, cilantro, red onions...Yep, pretty much standard fare for the classic Mexican condiment.
Now take a bite...
Wait? What's this? Smoky cumin? A little sweetness? No heat? Whaaaa....
What I've made for you today is not a salsa but a delicious sweet and savory Cuban salad. I found this recipe many many years ago on the food network and I still make it all the time! Check out the recipe here!
Avocado season just started out here in the islands. Not surprisingly it's one of my favorite times of the year! I have bags of them on hand so expect some more avocado related dishes in the near future!
Enjoy!

{ the ripest tomatoes you can find }


{ organic cilantro }

{ look for Hass avocados }

{ super juicy Tahitian limes }

{ diced red onion }

{ toss with toasted cumin and lime vinaigrette }

{ I ate this with some warm corn tortillas and Cuban black beans. Yum. }

- Beautiful glass serving ware by Bali artist, Seiki Torige. Purchased at Banana Wind in Lahaina -


2 comments:

  1. Sounds fabulous as usual. Oh and I'm still on the hunt for the tamarind paste to make the pad thai but I have everything else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First had this at the home of an expat Cuban in New Mexico, without the garnish. More like a snack tray than a salad.

    ReplyDelete