Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Jicama, Pineapple, and Cucumber Salad

Have you had any jicama lately?
I sure haven't and I have no idea why?! I use to LOVE this funny looking root as a kid and for some reason I've been neglecting it for years???
Kinda cute huh?
Anyway, I found some at the farmer's market yesterday and I was thinking how nice it would be in some sort of salsa/salad. It's been pretty hot and unusually humid the last few days on Maui so the only things that sound appealing to me right now are raw veggies and fruit.
Jicama is very mild and slightly sweet. The consistency sort of reminds me of a unripened pear.
Costco has "Maui Gold" pineapples for only $2.99. This is a total score for us out here. I was thinking pairing jicama with pineapple would be fabulous!
Then for some more bulk I added a cucumber and some Opal basil, mint, Thai chilies and cilantro from our garden. Super easy.
Too hot to eat inside today so I ended up throwing half of the recipe in a container and headed to the beach....
Perfect!

Jicama, Pineapple and Cucumber Salad
-vegan-
1 cup peeled and diced jicama
1 cup diced pineapple
1 peeled and seeded cucumber diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 Tb chopped mint
small handful of torn basil ( I like the purple for color )
2 red Thai Chilies for heat ( you might want just 1 )
juice of 1 lime
1 Tb brown rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar
1 Tb mild salad oil ( I used macadamia nut ) or leave oil out
pinch of salt to taste
Toss and that's it!

ALOHA

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny, another blogger I followed just posted about jicama today haha! I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete