Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Buckwheat Soba Noodle Soup

I've been making a point to go through some of the thousands of recipes that I have clipped from magazines over the years. It's a daunting task I tell you, but it's amazing the inspiration that has come out of it.
Today I came across an old article from, "Spa Magazine" ( May/June 2010 issue ). It was a piece titled, "Slim Pickings" regarding a spa in Koh Samui Thailand called, "Kamalaya". Apparently at this exotic health and beauty resort there is no such word as, "diet". Instead, they focus on low-calorie dishes that not only provide big nutritional benefits but beautiful local flavor combos as well.
I'll be honest, I felt the original recipe for this soup lacked a little bit of punch so I tweaked it up a bit for y'all with some tofu, lemon, and rice wine vinegar. Hope that's okay? 
Here's my rendition of this super vitamin packed Asian soup....
Enjoy!


Buckwheat Soba Noodle Soup
( adapted from the Kamalaya Koh Samui Wellness Sanctuary )
serves 4
-vegan-
6 cups veggie broth
1 oz dried wakame ( seaweed )
1/2 cup thinly sliced turnip
1.5 cups thinly sliced kale
1.5 cups bok choy, leaves separated
1/2 cup sliced celery
8 sliced shiitake mushrooms
4 oz dried soba noodles
1 cup cubed extra firm organic sprouted tofu
2 Tb rice wine vinegar
1 lemon juiced
zest of 1 lemon
1/2 cup minced green onions
1/2 mined turnip
Heat veggie stock until simmering and add wakame. Simmer 1 minute and taste, add salt if need be ( I did not ). Add soba noodles, tofu, bok choy, celery, kale, sliced turnips, shiitake, lemon juice, and vinegar to the stock. Simmer until noodles are cooked through ( about 4-5 minutes ).
 Ladle into deep serving bowls.
Mix lemon zest with minced turnip and set aside. Slice up green onions and garnish soup with both toppings for an extra bit of flavor.

Aloha!


4 comments:

  1. Amanda,your recipes and their beautiful accompanying photos just keep getting better and better!
    I, too, and victim of endless recipes clipping and now printing. So I bought a petty 3 ring binder, and when I find something it goes in immediately. Plus, as my tastes change, it is easy to edit out stuff.
    Just an idea from dear old Danville...where the SUN is finally out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I have some soba noodles that I need to try. As far as clipping recipes...I have so many I want to try at this point I don't even know where to start!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a package of soba noodles in my pantry destined for this dish now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delish! I have been craving a bowl of steaming noodles. This might just be it!

    ReplyDelete