Sunday, April 3, 2011

Sweet, Sour, and Spicy Asian Salad

Been loving this super light easy to make salad these days....
It's tangy, sweet, and very spicy. Just how I like 'em!
It's based on one of my favorite salads of all time, the Thai Green Papaya Salad of course.... However believe it or not, Thai green papayas are pretty hard to come by on Maui ( weird I know! ). No worries though.... shaved cucumbers make a great stand in. And for the other veggies? Well, just toss in whatever you like. Today I chose shaved carrots, diced green onions from the garden and some organic very firm sprouted tofu. Red bell peppers and tomatoes are nice for color too and normally I would toss on some cilantro but I was out today....boo.
Oh, and don't forget some crushed peanuts! 
The dressing is super easy too and it contains no oil so it's very light.
Sweet and Spicy Asian Dressing
-vegan-
3 limes juiced
splash of soy sauce ( instead of the traditional fish sauce to keep it vegan )
2 Tbs organic raw agave syrup
pinch of salt
pinch ( or more! ) cayenne pepper
1 minced garlic clove
I just toss this in a jar with a lid and shake it up good!
This dressing will taste strong but don't worry...once it's tossed with the veggies it really mellows.
Enjoy and Aloha!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds really delicious. I have been enjoying Asian flavors lately. Oh and I took a page from your book and did an "I love" post. It was nice for a change!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might sound stupid, but how do you shave your veggies like that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aloha! I use a veggie julienne similar to this...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RAD9NI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001BZNXIE&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=13XT2ZM612B3F31CWDFA

    ReplyDelete