Friday, April 22, 2011

Late Surf and "Saigon Seafood"

{ Carlos, 6 pm paddle out }

{ Bentley }

{ Launiupoko }

{ Olowalu }

{ Palms over Hwy 30 }

{ Spotted: BFF waiting at "Old Man's"}

{ Time to eat....}


After 3 raving reviews about this place we decided to give it go despite the fact we were wet, salty, and committed to a "no eating out" budget this month.
 However, being late in the evening, starving and a 30 minute drive away from home will make us cave in every time!
Luckily, Saigon Seafood did NOT disappoint! Tons of vegan options for me and nice size portions for the price. Lovely.


Quaint and cozy outdoor seating overlooking Wainee St.

 Sauvignon Blanc

 Got to love a place with Sriracha and Hoisin Sauce already on the table.

 Lots of choices for me! Asian food is always easy for vegans!

My vegan "Spring Rolls" stuffed with veggies and rice noodles.
Very hot and crispy! Loved the shoyu/vinegar dipping sauce!

Carlos's "Crab Rangoon", fried Star Anise, cream cheese, crab, and Thai Chili dipping sauce.

"Crab Rangoon" was my all time favorite food as a kid. It has been over 20 years since I've indulged in this decadent dish so I made Carlos order it so I could see how it was prepared. He said it was awesome.

 Vegan "Vietnamese Burritos"
These were so fun!
Served with a plate of pickled daikon, rice noodle cake, fired tofu, bean sprouts, mint, Thai basil, green onions, cucumber, Manoa butter lettuce, and shoyu/vinegar dipping sauce.
This comes with about 8 dried small rice paper wraps and a bowl of hot water. You're supposed to dunk the wraps in the water until they soften then layer on the toppings, roll, and eat. Yum!! 

Carlos's "Seafood Fried Rice", made with squid, scallops, and shrimp.
He's claiming "Best Fried Rice Ever".
Sounds good to me! 

Great dinner and it didn't completely crush the budget. In fact, if we had stirred clear of the wine and beer it would have bordered "cheap". Anyway, it was a nice little detour from out beloved "Thai Chef". We'll be back! 
Aloha!  

3 comments:

  1. MMMMMMMM that looks delish! I will have to check that place out, maybe a good lunch spot while I am visiting Maui...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vietnamese burritos sound really fun! I can never refuse spring rolls when they're on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous day you had! Budget Shmudget. (Granted who am I to talk...I barely ever eat out any more.)

    ReplyDelete