Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Indian Potato and Peas Kathi Rolls

I have a major  now under control magazine clipping addiction....I found the best way to organize these recipe inspirations was by getting myself a large binder, dividers and a 3 hole puncher. Wow, what a difference! The best part about my new organizer is I'm finally starting to make some of these beautiful dishes that I have been meaning to cook for years!
Today is a recipe inspired from two different sources....An old Food and Wine Magazine recipe for Indian Kathi Rolls by Padma Laksmi and a recent blog entry on Samosas by Meg Smith from Cooking.In.College.
I just loved Padma's use of crispy tortillas and Meg's use of peas and potatoes so I went to work and did some of my own tweaking as usual....
Indian Potato and Pea Kathi Rolls with Spicy Green Chutney
{ makes 10 rolls }
-vegan-
2 lbs peeled and quartered Yukon potatoes boiled until soft, drained.
1 cup of organic frozen thawed peas
large handful of golden raisins
1 tsp coconut butter ( or regular butter if not vegan )
1 Tb almond milk or water ( you can use milk instead )
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1.5 tsp cumin
10 small vegan flour tortillas
After draining boiled potatoes, slightly mash with fork in large bowl
 ( but not too much....you want it sort of chunky )
Add coconut butter, almond milk, salt and spices. Mix until just incorporated and then add peas and raisins.
Check the taste and add more salt or spices if need be.....
Place 1/3 cup of potato mixture on bottom 1/3 of tortilla. Fold like a burrito.
Fill a deep skillet with about 1" of veggie oil. Fry each side until golden brown and heated through. About 3 minutes per side. Slice in half and serve with chutney!







Spicy Green Chutney
-vegan-
1 cup organic cilantro
1 cup organic mint
3 medjool dates
3 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1 hot chili ( I used a green Thai Dragon )
2 tsp minced fresh ginger
1 Tb organic raw agave
Blend all ingredients in a food processor or high speed blender.
I found that this was enough for about half the batch. Perfect if you are freezing half like I did.



Now I fried these....A method of cooking I maybe do just 3 or 4 times a year but they were really amazing this way... We balanced these with a very light Green Papaya Salad.
I ended up just making 5 of the Kathi Rolls and froze the remaining 5. I plan on baking the rest of the batch to see how that works. I think frying frozen Kathi would be challenging. I'd be worried they wouldn't heat all the way through. I'm definitely not the best fry cook. I'll let ya know how they turned out baked...
Aloha!

5 comments:

  1. Girl what a fabulous recipe. I am saving this one. I tried the binder method and that didn't work out so well. There were just too many I wanted to try. I'm trying to figure out another way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a wonderful blog! I found you through your February post of the Naan Bread Panini recipe. I had never used Naan Bread before and made a pizza with one today. It was so tasty I decided I must find more great recipes using this bread, because it's so simple and could be used in so many ways! I'm going to try your Pinini recipe next :) Though I eat meat on occasion, I love vegan/vegetarian meals and your blog is now going to be my go to source for great recipes. Everything looks so yummy!
    Mindi (new bloglovin' follower)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited that you were inspired by my blog post...I appreciate the shout out so much, I am honored to be mentioned on your blog! Your pictures are so gorgeous (as always) and I love your changes to each recipe you cooked from, the tortillas are an awesome idea!

    That binder idea is so smart! I need to get on that asap.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! and your photography amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete