Monday, March 7, 2011

Spinach and Cheese Wonton Ravioli


I've been making these guys for years.....
Wonton wrappers are amazing. I seriously use them for everything.
The first time I ever had an Italian ravioli made out of an Asian wonton was back at Roy Yamaguchi's fusion restaurant ( Roy's in Kahana, Maui ) in the late 90's.
I thought that was a brilliant!
Y'all know how much I love to cook but the thought of taking the time to make my own pasta dough always seems daunting. However, making ravioli with pre-made wonton skins? Easy peasy.
So...Here's my version.
Spinach and Cheese Wonton Ravioli
-vegetarian-
makes 24
1 package of 24 (square) wonton skins
3/4 cup Ricotta Cheese
1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
8 oz frozen organic chopped spinach
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
salt to taste
water to seal ravioli with
In a medium sauce pan defrost frozen spinach. Add nutmeg and salt and then place in a medium bowl. Add Ricotta and Pecorino and mix until well combined. Taste to see if you need anymore salt.
{ grated nutmeg }
{ Ricotta }
{ Pecorino }
{ combine and taste }

Place roughly one teaspoon of the mixture in the center of wonton skin. Wet the edges with water, fold over and press to seal. Freeze on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Once frozen, transfer to a zip lock bag and store in freezer or add to salted boiling water and cook until a la dente ( about 4-5 minutes )
Top cooked ravioli with whatever you want. Marinara? Cheese? Herbs? Olive oil ? Butter?
Today I chose shaved Pecorino, fresh chives from my garden, and some red Hawaiian sea salt.
Yummmmm.....

3 comments:

  1. Those look fabulous. I'm not sure I could eat only three.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dawn, no way I could stop at three! I have actually made mushroom ravioli with wonton wrappers, it is so easy and so much fun! I love ricotta and spinach so these will be my next wonton ravioli adventure.

    ReplyDelete