Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Split Pea Soup with Lemon and Thyme

 { Split Pea Soup with Lemon and Thyme }

I found this recipe in Terry Walter's new book "Clean Start". It was beautiful, filling and very fresh tasting thanks to the addition of lemon and thyme.
I altered it slightly due to some alternative ingredients that I had on hand ( like olive oil in place of grapeseed oil ) However, I doubt the end result was much different than what the author had intended. The soup was wonderful and a very easy dinner to throw together on a week night.
We pared the soup with some toasted crostinis topped with meyer lemon olive oil, thyme and Cyrus Flake salt.
Divine!

Split Pea Soup with Lemon and Thyme
-vegan-
adapted from "Clean Food" by Terry Walters
( this is my version )
1 large sweet onion ( I used Maui ) diced
3 stalks of organic celery, diced
1 Tb good olive oil
1 Tb dried thyme
3 Tbs mirin ( Japanese cooking wine )
salt to taste
cracked white pepper
3 cups rinsed green split peas
10 cups vegetable stock
zest and juice of one lemon ( I used Eureka but Terry suggests the milder Meyer )

In a large pot, saute onion and celery in oil ( about 3-5 mins ) over medium heat. Add mirin, thyme, a good pinch of salt/pepper and saute a couple more minutes.
Add peas and stock to sauteed veggies and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook. Now, Terry suggested 2.5 hours of cooking time but my soup was done at 1.5 hrs ( ? ) Just saying....
Soup is finished when it is thick and peas fall apart when stirring. Remove from heat and add lemon juice and zest.
So simple and makes plenty for a few days worth of meals....





Aloha!

1 comment:

  1. This looks delicious, I love lemon and thyme together. It is one of my favorite combinations!

    ReplyDelete