Monday, March 14, 2011

Cucumber, Radish, and Green Onion Salad

Radishes are something I rarely buy ( when I say rarely I actually mean never ).
I have no idea why? I mean, they are so pretty, spicy, and they are fairly inexpensive!

I saw these on sale the other day so I scooped them up not really knowing what I was going to do with them. I came home and googled recipes and found one that was right up my ally....
Now, I didn't follow the recipe to a T because I didn't have a few ingredients on hand but it came out great anyway. So, here's my version.

Cucumber, Radish and Green Onion Salad with Chili-Lime Dressing
{ adapted from Bon Appetit | April 1998 } click for original recipe )
-vegan-
6 Tbs rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup raw agave syrup
1 tsp sea salt
2 large cucumbers, peeled and thinly sliced
2.5 cups thinly sliced radishes ( about 2 bunches )
8 green onions chopped
Chili-Lime Dressing ( recipe follows )
1 Tb fresh chopped mint
1/2 tsp black sesame seeds for garnish
1 tsp chili flakes for garnish
Mix first 3 ingredients in a large bowl and blend. Add cucumbers and toss. Let stand 1 hr, tossing a couple of times.
Drain cucumbers ( I reserved this juice for a future dressing ). Return cukes to bowl and add radishes, green onions and mint. Add Chili-Lime dressing and toss. Garnish with more mint, chili flakes, and sesame seeds.

Chili-Lime Dressing
-vegan-
1/4 fresh squeezed lime juice
2 Tb agave
1 tsp chili flakes ( or more depending on heat tolerance )
1 Tb neutral flavored oil ( I used sunflower )
1/2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp mined garlic
1/2 tsp of sea salt
Combine all ingredients in blender. Easy.
So crispy, light, and refreshing!
Enjoy

P.S.
For Japan....
On a more somber note.....In case anyone would like to donate to the Red Cross for the devastating events that have happened to our friends in Japan here is the link . I don't have a lot to give these days but I gave what I could.... I can't even imagine what these beautiful people are going through.
Aloha oe....

2 comments: