Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Couscous Salad

What are your grocery staples?
I bet you can guess mine...Yes, I always seem to have ingredients like red onions, lemons, cheese, tomatoes, olives, beans, and some fresh herbs on hand so I'm always trying to think of new dishes to make with them.
Check out this winner! It was wonderful and so easy to quickly throw together....
Couscous Salad
serves 2
-vegetarian or vegan if omitting cheese-
1 cup dry couscous cooked in 1 and 1/4 cups of water, 1 tsp olive oil and a pinch of salt
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 large tomato cubed
1/4 cup chopped olives
1/3 cup chick peas
handful of chopped fresh Italian parsley
1/4 red onion minced
salt to taste
Bring 1 and 1/4 cup of water to a boil. Add salt, oil and couscous. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork. Let cool...
Toss in all other ingredients and add some salt if needed.
Top with crumbled feta or shaved pecorino.
Oh my!
This would be wonderful stuffed in a pita with some chopped romaine me thinks!!
Aloha...

3 comments:

  1. God I love couscous but I never get to make it because Gabby is allergic so I make quinoa instead. Don't get me wrong, I love quinoa too, but sometimes I just want some couscous.
    My staples are carrots, sweet potatoes, bananas, beans, Greek yogurt, almond and rice milk and the rest of the veggies I get from my CSA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! Almond milk and bananas are a huge staple for me too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That really looks incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete