Saturday, February 26, 2011

Simple Side Dishes

I make two basic vegetable side dishes all the time...
One with mushrooms and the other with asparagus.
Pretty simple stupid stuff but they are totally worth mentioning.
Enjoy!
Lemon Herb Mushrooms
-vegetarian-
3-4 cups sliced mushrooms
2 Tb organic salted butter
handful of cropped Italian parsley
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 tsp grated lemon zest
juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup good dry white wine
1/2 tsp or more of sea salt ( I used Maldon )
1/4 tsp fresh cracked pepper
This is one of those few occasions that I DON'T shy away from butter. Real organic butter makes sauteed mushrooms absolutely fantastic!
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss in sliced mushies and leave them be for a few minutes. I know this is hard because you will have a great urge to toss them around but DON'T. You want a nice "seal" created on the bottom because this with lock in the juice! ( I learned this on some random French cooking show a million years ago...)
Once the mushrooms begin to brown, add lemon juice, lemon zest, crushed garlic, wine, salt, pepper and fresh parsley. Saute until all liquid is absorbed. Check to see if you need more salt.
I love this on Israeli ( pearled ) couscous. Carlos loves this on just about anything.
Drool.....
Next!
Spicy Roasted Asparagus
-vegetarian-
pre-heat oven to 350
1 bunch of asparagus ( remove woody ends ) and place on oiled cookie sheet
1 Tb ( or more ) of olive oil ( I used Meyer Lemon infused olive oil )
juice of 1 lemon
1/2 red chili flakes
cracked black pepper
sea salt ( I used Maldon )
grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Drizzle olive oil and lemon juice over asparagus. Sprinkle on salt, pepper, and chili flakes. Roast for 15- 20 minutes ( flip halfway through )
Grate cheese over asparagus and put back in oven for 1-2 minutes. Done!
Aloha!

2 comments:

  1. I love mushrooms! I bet I could veganize your recipe with some Earth Balance. The parsley/lemon combo sounds fantastic. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made both of these last night! Fresh spring asparagus from the farmers market as well as some wild mushrooms from the farmers market. I added a little splash of sherry to the mushrooms to make a little sauce. I also roasted some baby potatoes and tofu. What a yummy dinner! Thanks for the constant inspiration. XO Amanda

    ReplyDelete