Friday, January 7, 2011

Vegan Spicy Mushroom and Tofu Wontons

I noticed it's been awhile since I've posted a good pot sticker recipe so here you go!
These were delish! Meaty ( without the meat ), savory and light.
Enjoy!
Spicy Mushroom and Tofu Pot Stickers
vegan
package of 24 won ton wrappers
1/2 cup of extra firm sprouted organic tofu
5 shittaki mushrooms
1 clove garlic
2 green onion stalks
1" fresh ginger
3 Tbs tamari or soy sauce
1 Tb rice wine vinegar
1.5 tsp agave ( or honey )
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ( or more ) hot chili pepper flakes
In a food processor, mince together tofu, mushrooms, garlic, ginger, and green onions. Saute with an oiled pan over med-high heat for about 5 min.
In a separate small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, agave, oil, and chili pepper. Add to tofu/mushroom mix and saute until all liquid is absorbed. Cool.
Place about 1.5 tsp of cooled mixture onto won tons, fold and seal with water. You can freeze these for later or steam, fry or in my case a little bit of both.
I like to take these little guys and throw them on a hot oiled frying pan until their bottoms turn brown. Then I pour about a 1/4 cup of water into the pan, bring to a simmer and cover until all liquid is absorbed. Done!
These go best with a dipping sauce from equal parts rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, a little agave and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Sweet Thai Chili Sauce works too! 
Mix
Saute
Prepare
Pinch
Steam
Yum!


3 comments:

  1. Your wontons are always so pretty. Mine always end up soggy, mushy, and just ugly. :( I think I need one of those little pinchers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The timing is perfect for this post! I am working towards focusing more on whole foods this year and remembered your pea and tofu potstickers and was going to try them, but think I'll try these instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will definitely try these after my detox. They look so good! I've been looking for a dumpling/pot sticker recipe like this!

    ReplyDelete