Monday, January 31, 2011

Chipotle Black Bean Soup

Alright...
So I had an 8 pack of black beans ( a la Costco of course) taking up wayyyy too much space in my small cupboard and they were just screaming to be used! I noticed I had some onions, veggie bouillon and an ancient can on chipotle chilies in the pantry as well. So I thought to myself, "Piece of cake.....I can do this. No need for a drive up to Napili Market for a box of frozen Perogies! I have the base for a perfect dinner right here!"
( I think??? I've never made black bean soup before but how hard can it be? )
Well, It wasn't. In fact, it was super easy! I didn't even follow a recipe! I just went on my instincts and made it up as I went and it was seriously FABU!
Just a word of caution though....It is HOT and SPICY! Perfect for a chilly night somewhere in the frozen tundra ( like the Mainland right now I'd guess?? ). Not so much for a balmy evening mid Pacific ( IPhone is claiming 81 degrees at 7:34pm HST )
 I'm still sweating.....but it was well worth it and the Argentine is smitten ( as always )
Enjoy!
Chipotle Black Bean Soup
vegan
4 cans of organic black beans
32 oz veggie broth
1 large onion ( diced )
2 cloves of garlic ( crushed )
1 Tb coriander
1 Tb cumin
1/2 tsp salt
juice of 1 lime
2 Tb olive oil
2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
2 extra tsp of adobo sauce
1 can (drained) organic tomatoes
First, in a blender blend tomatoes, chili, and extra sauce until just combined. Next, ( on med/high in a large heavy stock pot ) saute diced onion in oil until translucent ( about 5-7 minutes ). Add garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Add cumin and coriander and saute another 2-3 minutes until very fragrent. Then, add veggie broth and bring to boil. Add beans, tomato/chili puree, lime juice and salt. Bring back to boil and then reduce to a simmer on med heat. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the soup thickens up a bit. Taste and see if you need any more salt? ( I did not but you never know....)
I served this with a dollop of Fage Greek Yogurt. Sour Cream would work too.... I wanted to add cilantro on top but there's a recall on that right now ( boo ).....Maybe diced green onions? Tortilla chips? Feta?  Anyway, have fun with it!
Until next time....

9 comments:

  1. Hey sweet lady!! I just read your comment, you must be my sister from another mister, same name, love of surfing, but on the other side of the ocean, hehe. Love me a bit of Maui, I was there a year ago, stayed at Pai'a & Lahaina and lapped up some of Maui's sweet green pits of perfection, uggghh and Honalua was pumping! I'm very jealous, Maui is one of my favourite places on the planet! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been loving all black bean soups and chilis. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so perfect for a chilly winter evening... in Maui, maybe not, but here in DC at least. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda, your food photography has been awesome lately! So crisp and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't go wrong with BB soup and chipotles. I just made super spicy beef tacos using lots of chipotle. SOOOOO good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for all the sweet comments! I've been working on my photographs for awhile now. Luckily I live with a professional photographer so I have a great teacher :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love black bean soup - I bet this recipe would work with different types of beans too - even pinto or kidney! I usually like to add a healthy bit of chili powder too - just because I LOVE the flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like the perfect recipe. Great job!
    I do the same thing: peruse the cupboard, notice things that have been sitting there too long then come up with some way to use them up. It's a super way to get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made Black Bean soup too last week for the same reason. Too many packets sitting in my cupboard waiting to get eaten. Your's looks yummy too, especially how you winged it!

    ReplyDelete