Friday, December 3, 2010

Wild Rice Stuffed Pumpkin with Chevre

I found this gorgeous blend of wild and brown rice at Mana Foods the other day and it was screaming, "Stuff me in a pumpkin!"
So, I did and it was FABULOUS!

Wild Rice Stuffed Pumpkin with Chevre-vegetarian ( serves 2 or more )
1 small Kabocha pumpkin cut in half
1 cup wild and brown rice blend ( 2 cups of water 1/4 tsp salt )
1.5 cups of walnuts
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/4 Golden raisins
2 Tb Balsamic Syrup for drizzling ( this is reduced balsamic syrup )
Small baked Kabocha ( Japanese ) Pumpkin.
This was soooooo simple. I just heated the oven to 375, de-seeded the kabocha, ran water over them and then baked them face down for about 45 minutes.
In the meantime I made the rice....
1 cup of rice, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 cups of water....bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and cover for about 40-45 minutes.
Easy peasy right?
Then I candied some walnuts!
Natural Cane Sugar from Maui....
Sugar, this is something I hardly ever use but I think it's the easiest way to make candied nuts....
First, heat oven ( I had it at 375 because the pumpkin was in there too ) and place 1.5 cups of walnuts on cookie sheet.
Roast for about 8 minutes....careful not to burn!!! During this time place 1/2 cup of sugar and 1/4 tsp of salt  in a med sauce pan over med heat. Stir until sugar melts and becomes an amber brown. Quickly add walnuts and stir until coated with sugar syrup.
Now, quickly throw sugar covered walnuts back on the cookie sheet and separate ( again, must move quickly or you'll have a big ball of sticky walnuts! )
Let cool to room temp and store in a sealed container.
I think these would be wonderful with a dash of chili pepper or cinnamon too!

I then stuffed the cooked pumpkin with rice, added some golden raisins ( dried cranberries would be good too ) crumbled goat cheese, some Balsamic Syrup, and the candied walnuts. This was amazing and made great left overs for work the next day!
Enjoy and Aloha!

2 comments:

  1. Your stuffed pumpkin looks utterly fab! I think the dried cranberries would be awesome in it too! By the way, your Mr. Taj is one cute cat with some claws! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. the goat cheese on top looks amazing! awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete