Saturday, December 4, 2010

No Stress Holiday Season

Everyone secretly loves the holidays right?
Ya, ya, I know.....the crowded malls, the pressure to find gifts, trying to find the time to make cookies and fudge, those extra pounds you might put on, etc.
But we still love the time from Thanksgiving to New Years don't we?
Stop it.....I know you do.....
I love the holidays for several reasons and here's just one of them!
North swells!
That would be professional Maui surfer Clay Marzo showing you how to take the edge off.....
Yippee!!
(Carlos at Little Makaha.)
(Carlos at sunset)
Okay.....
I get to choose every year how much I want to stress out about the holidays.
And for the last 5 years now I....Just...don't.
It's easy to when you live in Hawaii I guess?
 The only way we even know it's winter out here is the spectacular surf, the return of the Humpback Whales, and the massive amounts of gaudy plastic Santas and reindeer on top of little plantation houses. ( BTW Where? Oh WHERE??? do these people store this stuff all year long??) 
Anyway....
Here are MY 5 Holiday Survival Rules

1.KEEP IT SIMPLE
I don't buy a tree....
I mean why? The Christmas trees you find on Maui have been on a container ship from Oregon for God knows how long....??
They are dry and brittle and honestly just feel out of place in my tiny Hawaiian Hale.
Maybe someday I'll have more space to store a fake one but until then, I'm just saying no.
Instead, I grabbed some white orchids, some red poinsettias, random ornaments and shoved some white lights into wine bottles!
Easy and pretty! Yes?

2.MAKE ONE....JUST ONE! BATCH OF HOLIDAY COOKIES.
"Grammie's Pecan Dreams" (click here for recipe)
This will be the one batch I'll make this year ( just like last year....) I'll have about 3 and Carlos will demolish the rest.

3. EAT THE SAME WAY I DO REST OF THE YEAR!
You know what I mean.....

4. DON'T GO TO TO MALL!
The Internet is good for many other things besides blogging and surf web cams....
There is really something to be said for online shopping these days.

5. SURF
Now, these are my 5 rules. I understand that you might not do this sort of activity.......
HOWEVER
I complain wayyyyy too much about the lack of surf in the summer so when it's here I should be on it....Even when I'm tired after work. ( That's sort of a lame excuse anyway....)

Alright. Got all that?
I'm off to de-seed Lilikoi now....
Aloha!

3 comments:

  1. your five ways to get through the holidays should be used all year round! haha

    i'm not huge on a tree either, to be honest. we're not getting one this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your easy breezy mentality... The wine bottles are pretty, I'll have to try that next year.

    Happy Holidays from snowy Holland!

    www.GlocalGirl.com

    ReplyDelete