Sunday, December 19, 2010

Leftovers: Kiwi Style

The "Pumpkin and Lima Bean Salad" that I posted yesterday got me thinking about all of our adventures south of the equator once again. In October of 2009, Carlos and I spent some time in the green ( and very rainy ) country of New Zealand. Unfortunately the weather never was on our side so we actually ended up cutting our trip short and flying back to Australia ( where it was raining too BTW).
 Anyway...the biggest thing I remember about dining in New Zealand was the frequency of veggie wraps or Roti on the menus.
Obviously, no complaints here from this hungry Veg Head.
{ Raglan, NZ - Home to the longest left-handed break in the world }

After a rather dismal dreary day on Raglan's cold, rocky beach we stumbled in a great little cafe called the "Tongue and Groove" with a bottle of Ake Ake Sauvignon Blanc. It was there that we discovered the famous sweet chili doused veggie Roti.....
So....
After staring in my fridge at the leftovers from last night I decided to make my own "Raglan Wrap". I mean why not? Fresca's salad ingredients could make a great second day meal? What do you think?
"Raglan Wrap"- vegetarian
large flour tortilla
warmed mashed kabocha squash
feta
cilantro
mixed greens
Thai Sweet Chili sauce 
 Wrap everything in the tortilla and place in a panini press or on a heated pan with some sort of weight. Flip and repeat until melted and crispy.

Alright, this didn't suck.... at all. In fact, I might have even liked it better than the salad from last night....maybe.
Anyway,
Happy to be in warm Hawaii as usual.....
Aloha! 

3 comments:

  1. Those wraps sound great. I also like to do a wrap with kabocha and black beans. Something about the 2 flavors and textures that seem to work really well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love new zealand, i was there a few years ago for a 12 day trip when i was living in australia. i love that country and would move there in a heartbeat!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wrap looks fantastic! I've never thought to put mashed squash in a wrap. What a nice touch :).

    ReplyDelete