Friday, December 24, 2010

Hawaiian Cranberry-Passion Fruit Sauce

Maybe you recall my Thanksgiving post where I mentioned the fabulous cranberry sauce my friend Carla made?
If not, no problem for I'm going to dedicate this holiday post to it now....
When we were in Hana we picked several lilikoi ( passion fruit ) to bring with us back to the west side of Maui. Instead of eating them all at once I decided to take the seeds and pulp and spoon them into ice cube trays for later use. When I came across a bag of cranberries the other day at Whole Foods it reminded me that I needed to try and recreate the decadent lilikoi-cranberry sauce that I couldn't keep my hands off of on Thanksgiving night.
So, my friend Carla didn't give me an exact recipe but she told me she used cranberries, sugar, orange juice and lilikoi. Seemed simple enough? So here's my stab at it......

Hawaiian Cranberry and Passion fruit Sauce
vegan
3 cups of cranberries ( fresh or frozen ) I used fresh
1 cup of sugar
1/2 cup of fresh squeezed orange juice ( I used a Hawaiian Orange ) 
1/2 cup of water
6 Tbs passion fruit pulp with seeds
1/2 tsp orange zest
Bring water, O.J. and sugar to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Add cranberries, passion fruit, and orange zest and bring to a boil again. Cranberries will start to pop and break their skins. After this happens, remove from heat and mash with a potato masher. Cool and store in fridge.
That was really easy!

And soooooo good!!

So for lunch today, I used this sauce for a rather Christmas looking wrap.
large flour tortilla
Granny Smith apples thinly sliced
chopped walnuts
chevre
mixed greens
cranberry-passion fruit sauce
press like a panini
Mmmmmmmmmm
Mele Kalikimaka!


1 comment: