Sunday, November 14, 2010

Vegan White Bean and Rosemary Soup

I love creamy soups......
They're my favorite, favorite.
However, I can't really eat cream.
 And neither should Carlos.....
So, my solution is turning to "creamy" alternatives. Enter: White Kidney Beans
We tried a delicious "White Bean and Rosemary Soup" somewhere between Arizona and Florida last month. Sorry, I honestly can't remember where but we must have liked it enough for me to jot down a "mock" recipe while in some "mystery" restaurant on my IPhone's notepad.
I do this a lot....Seriously, you should see my notepad. It's full of all sort of random thoughts like, "remember Thank You card" and "turbulence disappears after 2 vodkas" and "make ravioli with chevre, pear and walnuts" ( That last one sounded good huh? ) I see another recipe coming.....
Anyway...
Here's you go. It's freaking great. Promise.
White Bean and Rosemary Soup -serves: a lot
5 cups of organic veggie stock ( or chicken stock if that's how you roll )
2 cans of drained organic white beans
2 cans of drained organic chickpeas
2 cloves of minced garlic
4 cups of chopped sweet onions ( I used Maui )
2 Tb or more-good olive oil
1, 6"sprig of Rosemary still on the stem
2 Tb chopped fresh sage
juice of 1/2 lemon
salt and lots of pepper to taste
 In a large pot over med heat saute onions in oil until translucent. Add sage and garlic and saute for 2 more minutes. Now add stock, beans, rosemary, lemon and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove rosemary and remove from heat. Pour in blender and blend on low. CAREFUL. Start slow....hot things tend to EXPLODE in the blender if you go too fast! Trust me.....You should have seen my ceiling.....
Once blended into a creamy soup, taste first before adding salt. You actually might not need any. I added only about a 1/4 of a tsp.
If you find that you like a thicker soup you can always add another can of beans or reduce the liquid by a cup. However, we noticed the soup thickened up a bit when it cooled. This was super yummy and will be a Go-To staple this coming winter on chilly Maui.
I paired it with grilled Indian Naan Bread. I brushed the naan with California Meyer Lemon Olive Oil, and sprinkled it with Italian Herbs, and Australian Pink Salt from the Murray River Valley. We had creamy French Chevre and Argentine Melbec on the side as well ( for a super "global" meal of course. )
Enjoy!
Aloha

3 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the notepad comment. I use mine to makes lists of things I need to remember to do when I wake up in the middle of the night.
    I love using beans to make creamy soups...I'm not much of a cream eater either. Too heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. kidney beans, nice combination with Naan

    ReplyDelete