Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Vegan Southwest Pumpkin Soup

Oh boy! Are you ready? Here's another creamy soup recipe!! You have to try this one. It's amazing! I'm on a roll......
I remember watching a Rachael Ray cooking show years ago and she made a soup very similar to this one. However, over the years I made some changes and even made it vegan. It's really delicious and a perfect for Thanksgiving.
Southwest Pumpkin Soup - vegan
1 sweet onion diced ( I used Maui )
1 Tb olive oil
3 cups vegetable broth
2-15oz cans of organic pumpkin puree
1 cup of organic coconut milk ( you can also use almond milk, milk or heavy cream )
1-14 1/2 oz can of organic diced tomatoes ( with liquid )
1-14 1/2 oz can of drained organic black beans
1 cup organic corn
1/2 of a lime ( juiced )
1.5 Tb curry powder ( omit if curry makes you gag like my sister.....)
1.5 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
salt to taste....(I used about 1 tsp)
minced chives to finish......
In a large pot, saute onion with olive oil until translucent over med heat. Then,  add all ingredients except coconut milk, cilantro and chives, bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, add coconut milk, cilantro and then garnish with chives....
You will not be disappointed.....Promise.
I served this for dinner last night with grilled naan bread dressed with olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes. However, today I had this for lunch with a scoop of white rice and it was divine.....enjoy!
So good... It's good for you!
Aloha


2 comments:

  1. What a delicious recipe. I will save this and try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've recently discovered naan, and I love it with soup. I'm bookmarking this recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete