Saturday, November 13, 2010

Maui

Can you guess what those are?
 They're the high peaks of Mauna Loa and Mauna Kea taken from my IPhone at 34,000 ft.
If you have been wondering where I've been all week? I've been home.
 And sick....
Unfortunately I caught some nasty cold bug. Probably from two days of flying, air conditioned recycled air, and from the stress of about 20 panic attacks I endured on the stormy flight back to Hawaii.
Maui was covered in low colds and rain when we landed but I didn't care.....It was beautiful, green and warm.
I learned something on this trip too.....
Carlos and I fantasize all the time about packing up and moving to back to the "real world". I can tell you right now without a doubt in my mind that the Mainland is no longer for me. I think Carlos would agree but I'll just speak for myself here. I'm not saying that we didn't have a wonderful time and that we didn't visit some spectacular places. I'm just saying that after 12 yrs away from the freeways and smog, Maui is truly my home now.
The flatness and the strip malls of Florida felt more foreign to me that any place I've been outside of the U.S. I kept trying to picture myself living in Folly Beach and commuting to Charleston for work or living on Sanibel and enduring the heat of summer, or adjusting to an oceanless Arizona and I just can't.
However,
Believe it or not, the only place that gives me the same comforts of my island home is the big island of Australia. I feel just as happy walking the boardwalk of Bondi Beach as I do Kaanapali or cruising in Byron Bay like I do Paia. I've said this before and I'll say it again....If we ever move away from this paradise it will be to Oz.
Anyway,
I have still tons to share from our trip. Especially some fun pictures from Miami Beach and the Everglades. But, more importantly I'll getting back to the core theme of this blog very soon. Which is of course.... about my life home on Maui.
Aloha.


No comments:

Post a Comment