Thursday, May 13, 2010

Getaway....


Aloha! Sorry for the disappearing act all week but sometimes I just can't get to everything I plan on getting to....Anyway, California was great. My dad turned 70 on May 9th and everyone one showed up for the party.
We got super lucky with our weather last week because apparently California has been getting a ton of rain all winter.
And as far as I could tell not much has changed around my old stopping grounds ( and thats a good thing after almost 12 years! )
Yes, this was my breakfast on the way over.....There is NOTHING more in this world that scares me more than flying.....hate it hate it hate it!!!!
Hey, at least it was local Maui Organic Vodka....
How annoying is my boyfriend.....He actually sleeps through our take-offs while I'm having a panic attack! ( WTF?!)  
This was probably the last healthy thing I ate all week long.....Sometimes you just gotta go with it.

San Miguel Island off the Santa Barbara coast....beautiful.

(My Aussie Brother in Law grinding guacamole at "Carlitos" in Santa Barbara...)
We made it! After 7+ hours of flight time ( including our layover in Honolulu ) and a long drive through nasty rush hour L.A. traffic ( our flight landed at 4:30 ouch! ) so nothing sounded better than some Mexican food on State Street!


I was so excited to meet up with one of my best friends from highschool for dinner too! Rachael went to college in Santa Barbara and never left! Lucky girl :-) Oh, and YES ( see post )  she does remember our pledge to become vegetarians back in '92.......Feels like a million years ago now.

We sat outside under the heat lamps.....

I ordered the Veggie Burrito. It was massive ( and amazing ) I miss Mexican food living in Hawaii!!!

My sister had the Mahi Mahi Fish Tacos....Looked pretty good for fish I guess.

We stayed at the "Best Western" in Carpinteria. Pretty nice for one night.

Feels like Cali....

You know what I had A LOT of this week?!
COFFEE!
It must be because I didn't have access to my Vita Mix or Juicer.....tasted pretty good though....I always have mine: black, no sweetener.
However, Carlos needs a bit more embellishing than I do.....

Esau's in Carp for Breakie Day 2.....
( I just had coffee )

Carlos went all out with Salmon Eggs Bene...

My sister's yummy looking Oatmeal with Soy Milk.

Quite Carpinteria...



Then off to Hollywood Beach we went to meet up with the rest of the fam at the beach house....


This is the beach town (between L.A. and Santa Barbara) that my father lived in for many many years.....I spent a great deal of my childhood here and it seriously looks the same as it did in the 80s and early 90s....crazy.

Perfect....




Dad on his 70th. Pretty cool huh!
Stepmom, Sister and Carlos in the kitchen....
Nice open spaces.....

Hollywood Beach to be contin.....

4 comments:

  1. Your pictures are gorgeous--wow, even if it was chilly at least it looks sunny. Your dad looks awesome for 70, seriously 20 years younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the beach house, awesome that you have one in Hollywood Beach!

    Delicious eats too, wouldn't mind eating all that for a week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous! I can't wait to see more....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, My dad looks amazing at 70 ( and you should see my 68 year old mother!! Not fair....hopefully I'll have the same luck )
    As for the house.....it was a rental. However, we used to live right down the beach from it in another great place right on the sand. It was awesome being back :)

    ReplyDelete