Wednesday, April 7, 2010

The Search

I woke up this morning with a mission.....
I wanted to surf all day long.
So I made myself a portable smoothie and started my search...

I made Kristen Suzanne's "Chocolate Cherry Bomb Shake" from her blog "Kristen's Raw"

( FYI-not cheap )

Kristen's "Chocolate Cherry Bomb Shake"-vegan

1 cup organic frozen cherries
1 local frozen banana
2 Tb raw cacao powder
1 cup water
2 Tb hemp seeds
1/4 hemp protein powder
( I also added 1 tsp maca and 2 packets of Stevia )

This was excellant!
First stop-Honolua Bay.

Hmmm...looks like a nice day to snorkle?

Olowalu = Flat
Looks like a nice day for a sail.....?

I hate wasting gas looking for surf so I settled for Puamana Park. I figured all those guys weren't sitting out there for nothing.

After an hour and a half I figured out that they were.....



My flat day board....A 7'8" locally shaped K-Land.

 I decided to finally give up on surf around noon and headed back home to make the best smoothie ever!
 
Maui Shake-vegan

1/2 cup young frozen coconut meat ( I found this coconut in my yard )
1 frozen local banana
3/4 cup frozen Maui Gold pineapple
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 Tb lacuma
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 packet stevia
1 cup organic vanilla almond milk
Place everything in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.....

O.M.G.

I then ( oddly ) decided to head back to Honolua to see if any surf showed up with the low tide....

hmmmmm...

Wait! What's that??
I spy a ripple!

However there was nobody else in the water and I promised my mother a long time ago that I would never surf alone. So I waited for someone to show up.....

And waited....

And waited.....

Eventually I got hungry so I gave up....I guess nobody on Maui was interested in surfing 6 inch waves in 3 inches of water? Weird.

Snack
Leftover Vegan "Asian Burrito" and Thai Sweet Chili Sauce

Dinner
 
"Crave" Samosas...Delish!


I paired these with some
Yogurt Dip and Thai Sweet Chili Sauce - vegetarian
2% Fage Greek Yogurt (8oz)
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
garlic 2 crushed cloves
1/2 half peeled and grated cucumber

And a little
 Side Salad...
carrots
local cilantro
local tomatoes
Kula romaine
local lime juice
sea salt

Lots to do this evening ( like laundry ) because Carlos and I are taking off for Hana straight after work tomorrow. Hana is on the wet east side of Maui. It is one of my most favorite places on the planet and it's only about 3 hours from house. The road to Hana is long and twisted but thanks to that it keeps a lot of crowds at bay......My cell phone doesn't work there and neither does my PC so it will be really nice to just unplugged for a few days. Not to worry though.....I plan on taking lots of pics. Pray for sun because it's a rare thing over there! Be back in West Maui late Saturday....
Aloha!

Hamoa Beach, Hana ( taken by Carlos on my 32nd birthday April 2, 2008 )

"Paradoxically, The only beach I've ever seen that looks like the South Pacific was in the North Pacific"
 James Michener (author of "Hawaii" and "Tales of the South Pacific" ) describing Hamoa Beach.

1 comment:

  1. I think everyone needs days away from blogging/the internet.It's so nice to just be unplugged. So enjoy Hana! We didn't spend too long in the town when we drove the road to Hana, since we had to get back before dark, but I loooooved the trip (probably because I wasn't the one driving).

    I was looking for new books to read, so I typed in your current book read "The Happy Isles of Oceania" into Amazon and most people loathed it due to various reasons. I"m interested to know what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete