Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Random thoughts on South America...

What is up with the fact that when I can sleep in... I can't?? Lame.
I woke up at 7 am today to cold windy weather?
Must be my day off ......

So I made myself a
 Green Juice
1/2 bunch organic kale
1/2 local lemon
2 organic Granny Smith apples
1 cucumber

And then cleaned the yard and did laundry. Fun.

Around mid morning I was hungry so I decided to do something with that Egg Fruit that I bought from Mana's yesterday.

I didn't really know what to expect.....
Honestly, I've never seen anything like it? It smelled a little like squash but it had a texture almost identical to a hard boiled egg yoke....weird.
Taj was confused too.
It tasted very mild  (almost carmel like )  so I decided it would work best in the form of a smoothie???
Wow! This was actually REALLY good. It was very pudding like!

Egg Fruit Pudding-vegan
1 egg fruit, skin and seed removed
1 large frozen banana
1 cup almond milk
vanilla extract
cinnamon
stevia
Egg fruit is really hard to find in the US ( I think ). However, it's very common in South America as an ice cream and smoothie flavor. Lacuma powder is actually dried egg fruit and this is pretty common in health food stored these days. But, like many things the fresh source is very different than the dried version. I have to say, I really liked the fruit once I blended it. Unfortunately, if you can't find egg fruit is your area I don't think anything could be used as a substitute....  
Anyway....
The sun eventually came out so I headed to Lahaina to test out one of my new bikinis. I spent about 2 hours at Wahikuli Beach reading until the rain returned :-(
Lunch
Salad
yellow and red cherry tomatoes from Hana
kalamata olives
cucumber
red leafed Hana lettuce
Hearts of Palm
Annie's Goddess dressing

How I discoverd Hearts of Palm....
I went to Argentina last year to meet Carlos's family....Most of the afternoons centered around a very long Argentine style BBQ or an Asado. If you ask anyone what Argentina is famous for ( besides really good looking people and tango ) It would be the beef.....
Never in my life have I seen anything quite like a real Argentine Asado. During my 3 week stay in Argentina I went to several of them. Almost daily....They lasted several hours and not only do I not eat any kind of animal but I don't speak a lick of spanish.

This is me....In South America....Watching Carlos eat a cow's pancreas.

Anyway, it was during these fuzzy afternoons ( I made up for not eating by drinking a lot of Malbec ) that I discovered Hearts of Palm.
Now, It's my understanding that Hearts of Palm is popular in some parts of the US as well?? I never knew this....However, the Argentines love this stuff. Thankfully at all the Asados I attended down there I always seemed to find a large simple salad ( this is actually a traditional dish at an Asado )....
The salad always consisted of lettuce, tomato, onion, Hearts of Palm, red wine vinegar and olive oil. I ate buckets of this stuff and I really liked it.


Anyway,
 Now, everytime I run into Hearts of Palm I grab myself a can and I'm instantly back in Buenos Aires wondering why I took French instead of Spanish......
   
Snack
Mid afternoon....Organic peanut butter and Ak-Mak crackers.

Dinner
Hana Orange Couscous
1 cup cousous
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup orange juice
1 cup water
Boil liquids, add dried couscous, reduce heat to low and cover for 5-6 mins. Fluff with fork before serving.
Organic Roasted Butternut Squash
 with a little bit of organic extra virgin coconut oil and sea salt
Bake at 375 until you can stick a fork in it.....this was a really small squash so it only took me about 30 min.
I added some almonds, red leaf lettuce and Annie's Goddess dressing.

Perfect.
Back to work tomorrow....Aloha:-)

1 comment:

  1. What great memories. Maybe taking a Spanish class or getting a learn-Spanish tape would be helpful so next time you go, it's a little easier to make conversation. I wish I'd studied *any* language enough to be fluent -- my high school French only goes so far. ;)

    ReplyDelete