Friday, April 16, 2010

Calling India Hicks......

For as long as I can remember all I ever wanted was to live on a tropical island. When I was a child I spent most of my allowance buying exotic sea shells from specialty shops or thumbing through National Geographics wishing I could be anywhere but temperate Northern California.... Over my bed hung a large map of Australia. Pictures of the South Pacific covered my walls instead of Bon Jovi or Madonna.
I look back now and think,.... I was a rather odd child.
I never got over my longing to be an island girl. However, over the years the reasons for it began to change. When I was a kid.... I thought that if I was ever able to escape from California and actually move to a tropical paradise I would spend my days collecting sea shells and eating Shaved Ice.  Now that I'm here what I long for is the sort of lifestyle you only start to really appreciate as you get older....The sense of really getting away from it all.....

For some people I know being "island bound" sounds aweful. But for me, even though I live here on Maui I'm still searching for a true "Island Life". You know what I'm talking about right? The sort of life style that has inspired Jimmy Buffett songs and Tommy Bahama ads... I'm talking about lazy days, eating fruit that is growing right in your backyard and walking around in little more than a pareau and some slippers.


You can find this life very easily here in Hawaii ( ummm, hello Hana? ). However, right now it's still difficult for us to get there.....I long for the day that I can eventually move to the North Shore, live in the jungle or green gulches that stretch down to the Pacific. I long for a large veranda, a yard full of mango, lilikoi and banana. I want an outdoor bathtub surrounded my ginger and pikaki. I want something modest and easy to maintain. I want a real island home, funky, colorful and eclectic.... Something filled with the tokens Carlos and I have picked up from all over the world. A place that I can pull out and display that old shell collection that I have been stashing away for years. A place where we can finally unpack and relax.....

I think we're getting closer....2010 has been a good year so far. Doors from troubled pasts have been closed and new opportunites have been opening up again.....In the mean time, I'm trying the best I can to live the island way now.... I spend as much time as possible in the ocean, hiking our mountains and watching our sunsets. These are such simple things that are so easy to forget to do.... Sometimes I still can't believe I actually live here....People always say to me, "You're so lucky!!" Well, to be honest, I don't know how much "luck" had to do with it. I just made a decision a long long time ago and I took a huge leap of faith and it was scary....I had no money, no job, no car and no place to live. However, I wanted it bad  so I just made it work. 11 yrs later I'm still here, working, dreaming and making it happen one day at a time....

I discovered India Hicks years ago at a furniture store on island and I purchased her books "Island Beauty" and "Island Life". I love her and she has been a huge inspiration to me and how I envision my life to be someday. She lives on a small island in the Bahamas with her partner and 4 childern.  To me she is the near perfect example of living the island lifestyle. I encourage you to check out her books. They are absolutely beautiful.....
ALOHA

2 comments:

  1. oh I just love when you post pictures of yourself and your island life! Keep it up! along with the great food posts of course!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...almost there!

    I love you very much...Mommy XO

    ReplyDelete