Saturday, February 13, 2010

Project: Raw Ice Cream!

Aloha! Another raining day over here on Maui but no problem....it was a work day so I didn't miss anything!
( I'm not sure if the tourist felt the same )
Oh well.....
I couldn't resist a repeat of the fabulous Apple Mint Juice I made yesterday....
Amazing!

Apple Mint Juice
2 large organic Granny Smith apples
large handful local mint leaves
3-4 cups fresh organic spinach

Lunch
Free Cafeteria Salad
romaine
purple cabbage
tomatoes
chick peas
kidney beans
cottage cheese
papaya seed dressing
sunflower seeds
( I ate about 1/2 of this....)

I also brought 3 small slices of organic Cinnamon Date Manna Bread to work with too ( love this stuff!!)

You can find Manna Bread in the freezer section of most health food stores. This stuff rocks and it was very helpful when I was a high raw vegan years ago...

Dinner
Carlos was craving pizza so he made a "Safeway" brand Margarita Thin Crust Pizza that was in the freezer...It was actually pretty decent ( I totally doused mine with hot sauce of course ). I also had a small organic spinach salad with Annie's "Goddess" dressing to balance it out.

So.....

Remember yesterday when I was cracking coconuts? Well, this is why.....I wanted to make my first raw vegan coconut based "Ice Cream". I've been wanting to do this for years but I always too lazy to crack open a real young coconut. ( What a waste!)

This was awesome!!
Raw-no dairy no soy Chocolate Chip "Ice Cream"
Vanilla "Ice Cream" base
1.5 cups raw young coconut pulp
1 raw unsalted cup cashews ( soaked for 3 hours and rinsed )
1/2 cup agave syrup
1 cup fresh coconut water
1.5 Tb pure vanilla extract
1 Tb raw coconut oil
1/2 tsp sea salt

Place all ingredients in a high speed blender like a Vita Mix and blend until smooth. Chill for several hours ( I chilled it over night )
Pour into ice cream maker and run for about 15-20 minutes until "soft serve" texture. While running, add about 1/4 raw cocao nibs.

Pour into a glass container and freeze until very firm.....
I also made a raw fudge sauce with a mixture of raw cacao powder, raw agave syrup, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.

This was actually Carlos's serving. I was wayyyyyy too full from dinner for dessert( but I did have a bite.) It was RICH, CREAMY and DECADENT. I cannot believe I pulled this off. Carlos said it was the best ice cream ever! I can't wait to try different flavor combos now :-)

8 comments:

  1. OMG Mandy that ice cream looks soooo yummy. I just picked up some Purely Decadent dulce de lece last night + thought of you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! That raw ice cream looks amazing! I'm seriously thinking about splurging on a Vita Mix.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks girlies:-) It what awesome! Tasted like the real thing. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey girl, is your email still the same?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Amanda, Love your blog! Picked you for an award... check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is the "Vanilla Ice Cream Base"? Is that a separate ingredient?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amanda, The Vanilla Ice Cream base is the recipe below it. Sorry for the confusion:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. ahhhh! Sorry kiddos! Don't forget to add 1/2 cup of agave syrup to the ice cream base if you make it. I totally forgot to add that to the written recipe. I just fixed it for you!!

    ReplyDelete