Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Laundry, Taxes, and VOG.....

The VOG is back.....and it's bad ( blah! ) Infact, it's so bad that we decided to spend most of the day inside taking care of some much needed biz ( like laundry, mopping, weeding and organizing my TAXES Ugh! ) Oh well, we need to get to this stuff eventually and after all the sun we got yesterday, it's probably best we stay in the shade.
But,  I did get up a little early to get first dibs at the Honokowai Farmer's Market.....
See the pale voggie sky behind the little church? Yuck.



This dude was wacking coconuts open with a machete....He seemed to be having a much easier time than I was last week...Maybe I'll eventually just pay him to open mine?



Our Bounty...
 ( pretty much all local and organic )

4 Navel oranges
2 lemons
1 large head of Red Leaf lettuce
1 head of Romaine
2 bags of grape tomatoes
1 bag Kula arugula ( Rocket )
1/2 green cabbage
1/2 purple cabbage
4 of the largest carrots I've ever seen!
4 ears of Kula sweet white corn
fresh ginger
2 zucchinis
2 cucumbers
3 bunches of kale
1 loaf vegan "Maui Crunch" whole grain bread
Total Damage $45.92 ( not bad I think? )

I wasn't hungry for breakfast so instead I had an early lunch in between loads of laundry.... 
Yes...more Pineapple-Cucumber Gaspacho! Love it!
However, instead of adding Macadamia oil to the top I added 1/2 of a Haas avocado to give it richness. Mmmmm....I also added a squeeze of lime, red pepper flakes and some Pink Australian Salt.
Divine...

After gardening I shared some Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding with Carlos....
1/4 c white chia seeds
3/4 c almond milk
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 Tb raw cacao powder
dash of cinnamon
pinch of salt
1 packet of Stevia
1 Tb agave

Stir all ingredients together and place in fridge for 3+ hours or overnight.
The chia seeds will expand and turn "gelatinous" almost like tapioca...This was awesome!

Chia seeds are super high in omega-3s, protein and fiber!

Snack
1, very large carrot and Annie's "Goddess" dressing....

Then back to mopping...

Taj stalking a gecko...

Carlos proving that there is no need to brush your hair or put on a shirt when working from home...dork.

(Love my silly boys.....)

Dinner
a sauteed Maui onion

mint and Italian parsley....
Mediterranean Couscous

couscous
lemon
onion
parsley (my garden!)
mint ( my garden! )
kalamata olives
grape tomatoes
pine nuts
e.v.o.o.
sea salt


Served on a bed of arugula.....Who said vegetarian food can't be filling?

Off to watch the Olympics now...
Aloha :-)

6 comments:

  1. Had never heard of VOG before. Interesting. And carlos could be a hair stylist for my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so jealous of your fresh, local fruits and veggies! What a healthy and delicious day you had. Chia seed pudding looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Farmer's Market. My Dad usually goes to it... I was looking for him in the pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still totally follow your blog and I just love it. But Ican't get over how creative you are with your meals. seriously. It is amazing. and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank everyone:-)
    Wendy, good thing Carlos doesn't really read my blog....haha...I think he would have disowned me by now.

    ReplyDelete