Monday, February 22, 2010

Happy Monday

Aloha "Friday"!

Yey for days off!! It's been a looooong week and by 3pm today I was more than ready to start my weekend:-)

This morning I had a "Raw Food Real World" inspired smoothie....


Unfortunately due to copy right laws I cannot reprint the recipe but I'll give you a hint....
It contains... frozen bananas, fresh carrot juice, nut milk,  ginger and cinnamon...got it?
It's titled "Bunny Spice" and it's on page 81.

Oh-FYI, I also added a tsp of Sol Raiz Organic's Maca...

If you are interested in a vegan raw food diet I highly recommend picking up "Raw Food Real World" by Matthew Kinney and Sarma Melngailis. They are the brilliant chefs behind NYC's famous, "Pure Food and Wine".....
Anyway, I use it all the time for inspiration:-)

Outside my office mid morning....typical beautiful winter day out here on Maui....

Lunch...Can you guess?
The Usual
1 cup cottage cheese
1/2 chopped tomatoes
2 slices whole wheat bread

Oh...I almost forgot, BFF brought in these interesting Chinese "Cakes" for us to sample...
 

Mine was "melon" flavor....
Probably not the healthiest thing in the world but they were pretty small....yummy!

On the way home today I stopped at my favorite little fruit stand up in Kapalua and grabbed myself $3 worth of local limes...


Cute huh!

I was really excited to find that my package of Superfoods from iherb.com was sitting on my doorstep! That was super fast! Only a few days to get to Hawaii! I'm impressed.....I'll use iherb.com again for sure:-)

Mesquite Powder
Yacon Powder
Raw Cacao
White Chia Seeds
Lucuma Power

I'm really excited to experiment with these so I'll get more into detail about them when I do :-)

Also, a friend of ours dropped off 2 local "Maui Gold" pineapples! Apparently he had a few too many on his hands....score!

So, thanks to my surpise gift...I decided to make another "Raw Food Real World" inspired dish!

Now, I didn't have enough ingredients on hand to follow the exact recipe so I had to improvise....
So, Here's my version of Matthew's and Sarma's
Pineapple-Cucumber Gazpacho.

5 cups chopped pineapple
1 cup chopped cucumber
2 cups chopped Granny Smith apples
1 cup - half pineapple juice, half green apple juice
1 Tb chopped chives ( my garden! )
1/2 small Maui onion
1 Thai Dragon chili ( my garden! )
1 Tb local lime juice
2 tsp sea salt
1.5 Tb macadamia nut oil
1 handful cilantro

In a high speed blender blend 4 cups pineapple, 1 cup cucumber, 1 cup apples, juice, chives, onion, chili, salt, and lime juice.

Next add 1 cup pineapple, 1 cup apple, cilantro and oil and "pulse" a few times to blend but have the  gazpacho remain "chunky"

Serve with hot pepper flakes and a drizzle of Macadamia Nut oil ( this is important....it added a lot of richness to the dish! )


Happy to know that I have plenty of leftovers because this was AMAZING!
I love light raw food....If money was no object I would eat this way all the time!

Anyway....thinking of grabbing Taj now and throwing a movie the XBox...so, be back soon!

4 comments:

  1. oh my goodness, that soup looks delicious! i really shouldn't read food blogs before bed!

    http://laurenlanzaosias.blogspot.com
    be a follower, not a fighter

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think there was such a thing as too many pineapples. Of course, I live in a decidedly non-tropical area, so maybe things are different where they can grow year round :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've ever seen a pineapple that perfect in real life!

    I'm digging your gazpacho recipe. For Lent I'm only having green smoothies on the weekends and this recipe would be perfect. I'll have to try it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The soup is amazing!!!! Yes, the pineapple was insanely perfect and super sweet. "Maui Golds" are world famous for their low acid content and dark golden color. They grow everywhere around my neighborhood so I guess our friend just had a big surplus of them in his yard. Like I've said before, it's awesome to have friends with mature fruit trees/ plants in their back yards!

    ReplyDelete