Friday, January 15, 2010

Me - 0, Kilauea - 1

Aloha, Sorry I went missing all week but unfortunately I've been coming down with a nasty sinus and throat infection and needless to say, my appetite and workouts have been pretty non-existant the last few days ( sucked ).  So today I finally gave in, left work early and went to the doctors  ( my doctor is at the Hyatt Regency on the beach right next door to my new job....convenient huh?)

These places freak me out like you wouldn't believe. Seriously

Anyway, this is what the doctor said after my negative Strep test.....

"I think it's from the VOG"

Apparently he has been getting a rash of patients all week with the exact same symptoms....sinus pressure, headaches, burning eyes and then infected tonsils. Awesome.

"Well missy, We are all just going to have to live with this sulfur dioxide poisoned air until Pele is finished I guess ?.....

Wait, what?

The young doctor then informed me that many tests are being done as we speak to find out what might be the long term consequences of inhaling sodium dioxide for months or even years. He told me he personally knows several patients who have already moved out of the state thanks to the VOG and that his own asmatic childern are suffering as well.... Great.

This is hardly the first sinus and throat infection I've had this year so this makes this all the more alarming to me....

Last week was pretty hard core ( VOG wise ). Most days you could barely make out Molokai and Lanai across the Auau Channel and the West Maui Mountains looked more like the Hollywood Hills. VOG effects everyone differently but this month my friends that never complain ( including Carlos ) are hacking and sneezing like never before.

So, here I am at home and missing training at work. I'm on a 5-day Z Pack that should clear things up pretty quickly but then what? We have trade winds blowing today but what happens when the winds shift again to the south? I'm getting pretty concerned.......

Anyway, sorry to be such a downer but it's just heartbreaking to be finally seeing the light in this very depressed island economy and then  possibly get chase away by a friggin' volcano. Seriously??

 Noway.

 Anyway....to be continued on that subject another time....

So yesterday was "Taco Day" at the cafeteria....One of my training buddies was so excited he could barely contain himself....He wanted me to take a picture of HIS nachos and put it on my health blog....I told him that that bright yellow cheese was not actually food but I promise I would do it anyway...
So, Here you go Doug...

Unfortunately, my Iphone did not capture the true yellowness of this "cheese"....So you'll have to trust me... it was Just. Not .Right.

To be honest I was pretty excited about "Taco Day" too but I opted for the less fake ( I think ) of the two fake cheeses that were available.

However, thanks to my Volcano induced "flu"... I barely touched this....totally bummed.

Anyway, I'm going to take a nap and down a ton of green juice now...I will report back later...:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment