Monday, January 11, 2010

I'O Restaurant Lahaina

Dinner Recap from 1/10/10

I'O - Lahaina, Maui

So last night I joined Carlos's fellow co-workers from the Peter Lik Gallery for a belated Christmas dinner at I'O Restaurant. I have not dined here for about 2 yrs so it was nice to have the opportunity to check it out again. I'O sits right on the beach in Lahaina Town next to it's popular sister restaurant Pacific 'O. My favorite part about I'O and Pacific'O is it has it's own organic farm up in Kula ( O'o Farms ) that supplies the restaurants with about any veggie, fruit, edible flower or herb they could need. Pretty cool!!
Side Note: O'o Farms offers tours to the public for $50 which includes hot apple cider and pastries before the tour then a gourmet lunch using the farms fresh ingredients afterwards. How cool is that!

I want to apologize in advance for my rather blurry pictures...It was pretty dark inside the restaurant.

First, How cool are my shoes.....Sorry, had to throw these in. I bought them in Oxford St. in Sydney. Totally practical on Maui of course....


I started with a glass of Neyer Chardonnay from California.
It had classic Cali oak/smoke aromas along with a hint of citrus and fig. Very buttery...pretty great considering I'm not huge California Chardonnay fan.
 
I also had a sip of this Tempranillo from Spain that was excellant! It was light in body with hints of cherry and peach. Yum Yum!


FYI - I'O has great bread! And instead of butter they serve it with a vinagarette dipping sauce...


For a starter.. I had the "O'o Beets"... golden beets in pesto with feta, raisins, pine nuts and a mango coulis. Very tasty!


Sorry again for the terrible lighting!
 For my main... I ordered the "Tofu Pumped", sesame crusted tofu with roasted pepper polenta ( soooo good! ), organic root veggies, Kabocha pumpkin sauce ( really good! ) and a  O'o seasonal vegetable accent ( spinach and breadfruit "Ulu")
My only complaint is that this came out a little cold...However, I was with a fairly large party so maybe thats why? It really wasn't the biggest deal....
Anyway, I can't stress enough how good the polenta was! Must try this at home!

So there you go....I feel bad that Carlos was unable to join his own work party but I gladly took his place. Not to worry though...I ordered him the "Special". Tonight's special was a "Surf and Turf" which included a Filet Mignon and Kona Lobster with Tahitian vanilla bean Sauce. It smelled wonderful....even if it was meat.  He was pretty stoked to find this in the fridge when he got home at midnight :-)
ALOHA!

No comments:

Post a Comment