Tuesday, December 8, 2009

O.M.G!

So sorry for my lack of posting the last couple days!! However, I have a lot of cool pics and some time to play catch up now!
First of all, the Hawaiian Island have been getting POUNDED by epic surf! Not only did I surf but Carlos and I spent HOURS shooting the mythical waves at Honolua Bay and Peahi ( JAWS!! ) Yes! We caught shots of the "Strapped Crew" AND 60 foot + perfect Jaws! It was unreal!! Perfect timing for me being off work all week and all :-)

On top of being super busy with the surf, Carlos also needed the computer for work at night ( he's a photographer and needed to edit some shots for a current job ) so needless to say, I was unable to get online the last few days. No worries though.....I have a Sony VAIO on the way!!! So stoked! It will be nice to have my own PC again!

So here's a recap......I'll do one on food later. I made some yummy new dishes the last 3 days (even Christmas cookies.)  We even went to one of our favorite restaurants on island ( and I have pics for once! )

DECEMBER 5, 2009 Day of Days at Honolua Bay, Maui











 DECEMBER 7th 2009 Perfect Peahi!








Can you see the surfer??




Laird Hamilton waving Hi :-)




oops...




Carlos and I got up at 5:30 am to avoid this! We were actually on our way out at this point. Maui County had a major traffic issue all day long. They also had to close several north shore beaches because the surf became so dangerous!


Oh and of course....it would not have been a typical big wave day on Maui without one of these.....It's okay Maui....we'll consider this a $35 admission fee ( totally worth every cent! )

So, Jaws was unreal! I've actually lived on Maui now for 11 years and this is the first time I've made the effort to go see it. I'm so glad I finally did. Unfortunately, the pics hardly do her justice. Plus, you are missing the biggest ingredient....the sound of the wave when it emplodes on the reef.....
I would say that about 10 men were out there surfing Peahi today. They had some epic wipeouts and even lost 2 jet skies on the rocks...Everyone made out safe though :-) I have to say this....it's not hard to appreciate the skill it must take to surf one of these things....However, it's the absolute bravery to do so that blows my mind.

As for us spectators, Jaws is not easy to get to. Not only is parking difficult ( and illegal ) it's a muddy 30 min+ walk through pineapple fields to the headland. However ( again ) totally worth it.
Lucky to live in Hawaii as usuall....Aloha :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment