Thursday, December 31, 2009

Moving on.....

I couldn't help but stop to ponder for awhile about what I wanted to say regarding New Year's Eve ....
There is so much talk about "resolutions" and stuff like that and one of the things I find interesting is this.....In general I hear, "I don't make New Years resolutions. It only leads to failing... blah blah blah....." What a bunch of wusses.
Seriously??? What are you so scared of? And who really gives a rat's ass if you break all your resolutions by the end of the Rose Parade or not? Guess what.....nobody really cares.

I love New Years Eve. It actually happens to be my most favorite holiday of the year. What's better than getting to stay up late, drink Champagne, wear sequins, and press the delete button and start over!
Times have been tough, that's no secret and 2009 was dousy for me ( ummm and so was '06, '07 and '08 but who's counting). When I look back on this last year all I want to do is shake my head and thank god it went by fast.
Besides being the freaking poster child of this fabulous recession, I endured 3 cases of deadly MRSA Staph, I'm was painfully financially still attached (after 3.5 years) to my ex-husband ( thanks to a real estate investment ) who seemed to get a rise out of testing my sanity on a weekly basis, I lost my stepdad of 18 years to cancer, my income dropped 47%, my hard earned credit dissappeared, I changed jobs ( after 6 yrs with the same gallery ) and when I was finally able to get away and take a vacation I got caught in the 75 year Great Australian Dust Storm, a South Pacific tsunami warning, and then I serendipitiously got snowed in ( and then snowed out of the country New Zealand ) all in the matter of 2 weeks.
So, with that being said.....I'm a little bit drained.

But, don't get me wrong....'09 wasn't all that bad.
Here are some of the highlights!
1.) April- I FINALLY made it to Kauai!! Yes, it was only for about 36 hours but I have been waiting practically my whole friggin' life to get over to the "Garden Isle" and it finally happened!! (Much thanks to a generous invite from some friends.) Yes, I live on Maui....which makes Kauai only about a 40 minute flight away but for some asinine reason I saw Buenos Aires and the Great Barrier Reef before I saw the Na Pali coast....Don't ask, it's a sensitive subject over here.....

2.)June- Audi A4.....well, if you might be loosing your ass and you might not be able to get yourself anything nice for the next few years what do you do?? Go get yourself a nice German sports car...nuff said.

3.) Sept/Oct-Three weeks in Australia. Best place on the planet even in the freezing rain, hands down. The best part about the trip this year is I got to hang out with my WHOLE family.  This has not happened since the 1970s. Yes, I'm that old.

4.) Nov- Carlos.... we are still going strong and still together (against all odds) 3 years later. I love you more than Hugh Jackman, Javier Bardem and the Portuguese soccer team combined ....xo xo

5.) Maui's Marriot Ocean Club-Thank you for the opportunity and support. I'm excited!

6.) El Nino-Thank you for the some of the best winter surf I have ever seen in 11 years on Maui!

10 Resolutions for 2010
1.) I have decided that I'm over this recession so I will no longer be participating. Thanks, it's been educational and interesting but I'm going to go ahead and move on with my life now.
2.) The dentist. I need to go....I'm absolutely appalled at myself. I won't even say how many years it has been because my mother reads this blog so I'll just say it's been awhile. For the record, I have never had a cavity however, I have a sick feeling that that stat has changed.
3.) Blue Cheese dressing....you will now be joining "Nutella" and "Tim Tams" on the Cansler-Barberis "Banned Foods in the House" list. Sorry....I'll miss you.
4.) Excedrin.....again, nuff said.
5.) Make more money than '09.....after looking at my "year to date" pay stub, this shouldn't be too much of a challenge.
6.) More green veggies, more green juice, more yoga, more surfing....What's a New Year's Resolution list without a mention of diet and exercise. I live a pretty healthy and balanced lifestyle but there are always room for improvement.
7.) Stamp the passport. I've done this for 6 years straight now and I don't plan on stopping. Where to next?? Plans are already in the making....... Carlos and I will be making a cross country trip to Florida in the fall and then we are hoping to end up in a surf filled Banana Republic for a few weeks after that. Can't wait!
8.) Figure out how to spell and grammer check on Blogspot.
9.) Close Escrow.....it's been a LONG time coming.
10.) Smile, Breath and Relax.....sounds simple right? This has actually been a huge challenge for me all my life and it's time to change that.


So there you go! Hau'oli makahiki hou to you too in 2010. May all your troubles last as long as your New Year's Resolutions as well.....
ALOHA!!


1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! I hope 2010 is your most wonderful year yet.

    ReplyDelete