Wednesday, November 4, 2009

SYD to AKL

First things first...A Tsunami in the South Pacific.

 Just as we are about to depart for our flight over the Tasman Sea we get word that the north island of New Zealand is under a Tsunami warning. This is due to a devastating earthquake that has already crushed my old home port of Pago Pago. Very sad day on the islands of Tutuila, Upolu, Ofu, Tau and Savai'i. I honestly cannot imagine how difficult the days and weeks that followed this event were for the resident islanders of American and Western Samoa......
The wave actually hit New Zealand and the Cook Islands to the north that morning. I also heard that the Pacific surged hours later in Maui as well...... The ocean is a powerful force. Love her but respect her...... Alofa Samoa.

We took off for New Zealand with clear skies....The flight was only 2.5 hrs long yet we were moving ahead 3 time zones ( almost Hawaiian Time again ) and about an hour over the Tasman the plane began to jump.

Let me just tell you this....this is only the second time in like 20 plus manic flights that I've taken with Carlos that he actually seemed pissed at me....

"Did you take your pill??!" ( Zanax )
"Ummmm...no"
"WHY!"
"Because it's such a short flight....I didn't want to be out of it and miserable all day......"
"So, now I get to be miserable!! Where's your wine?!"
" Are you kidding!  It's frigging 7 am.....!!"

I'm not exactly sure what happened but 5 minutes later a flight attendant showed up with a split of champagne....compliments of Jet Star? Then, about 15 minutes later my hot tempered latin luvva is hugging me and telling me that he's sorry for snapping however......one last word ( of course ).
 "Good Lord women! What turbulence??! The pilot has not even turned on the " fasten seat belt" sign! So please.....don't over react just because you see a cloud in the sky...... "

Patience......this is something I still need to learn not to efff with.....even after 3 years together.

We landed safe and sound about an hour later in gray, stormy, Auckland.....but not until I screamed at the guy sitting behind us WHILE HIS CELL PHONE STARTED TO RING as we approached AKL ( I'm sorry! But those things are SUPPOSE to be off!! ) Carlos then quit staring at the green country below and now just stared me......stone faced......the whole time.....until the tires hit the runway.

This was just the beginning...........





NEW ZEALAND to be continued.......


BACK TO NOVEMBER 4th Maui, USA




FOOD LOG

Breakfast-none

Early Lunch-Tomato and Provolone on Foccacia Bread from "Ono Gelato" with taro chips, watermelon and local lychee ( Dragon Eyes ) for only $4.47 Woohoo!!





Dinner-"Corn and Ginger Soup" from Bill Granger's cookbook, "Bill's Sydney Food" ( one of my go to cook books from Australia ) However, I embelished a bit as usual......



"CORN AND GINGER SOUP" VEGAN

1 TB veg oil ( I used Macadamia Nut oil )
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1 TB finely sliced fresh ginger
2 cups fresh corn off the cob ( I used 3 cups )
24 oz water
1 TB Shao Hsing Wine ( ummm didn't have so I added 1 TB of white wine )
1/4 tsp white pepper ( I used black )
1 tsp sugar ( I used Stevia )
1 tsp salt ( I used Maldon sea salt )
2 TB soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 chopped cilantro ( my extra add after soup was removed from heat )
***The soup was pretty good but I thought it lacked "something"?? So I added 1 more TB of soy sauce and 2 TB of rice wine vinegar......Ya, much better now:-) !!

Heat oil in large sauce pan over med heat. Add ginger and onions and stir fry 1 min. Add corn and stir fry 1 min. Pour in water and bring to boil. Season with wine, soy sauce, pepper, sugar, salt and ( vinegar ). Simmer 5 min. Remove from heat add cilantro and more green onions if desired.

WORKOUT-none
WEIGHT- out of curiousity...106.2 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment