Friday, November 6, 2009

Auckland to Whangarei to The Bay of Islands

NEW ZEALAND

Our first night in NZ we stayed at the Mercure Hotel on Customs St. in down town Auckland. Lets just say this....for $58 USD a night The Mercure was a steal. It was literally 2 blocks from the water and near several nice restaurants. I want to apologize but I do not have any photographs from the Middle Eastern restaurant we ate at that evening....I can't even remember the name of the place but it was right on the water and it was pretty good....I had a pumpkin salad ( of course ) and a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. It was POURING down rain so we thought it was best to leave the fancy cameras at the hotel because we were on foot that night. I do remember it was FREEZING and super windy....Not the best first impression of the "City of Sails" however, with all that wind and sea around us we could see why Auckland is such a sailer's paradise!

The next day we rose early and found this cute coffee shop near by for our morning tea and coffee....

No. 1 Queen Street Cafe



Carlos was stoked because they were jamming reggae, I was stoked because it was warm inside.......

Then it was time to take a cab to pick up our car van/home for the next 10 days. I was pretty nervous and for good reasons too.............
                            

I suddenly realized that I am a 33 year old women who totes a Louis Vuitton bag and I now have to drive around this nice country with the "Sex Pistols" smeared across my car.....

Oh, and who the hell are the Bollocks?? Am I suppose to get what this means?? Must be some British joke that I don't understand as usual....



Ummm...yes, those are fuzzy pink handcuffs. It took me about 1 minute to figure out how to break
I mean carefully remove them.....

Mortified

First things first.....get this chick some wine immediately
                       
We decided to try and make it to The Bay of Islands ( about 3-4 hrs north of Auckland ) before sunset. Luckily, we stopped at this nice cafe called "Split"  in Whangarei for a "Mezze Platter" and some Karikari, Sauvingnon Blanc
 
After Carlos pumped me full of wine.....we got back on the road and made it to our first "Holiday Park" in The Bay of Islands. It was very pretty right next to the water but it was bitter cold.......

The dude running the park said it was 8 degrees

Freezing

NEW ZEALAND to be continued.......

Back on Maui

Day off and it was a warm one ( nice ) Carlos went surfing and I watched.....yes, that's right, I was not in the mood to paddle out. I think it was a combo of my nasty sinus issues and good 'ol laziness ( I have a doc appointment on Tuesday at "Clinic, Pig Flu" Maui Medical so I can find out what the heck is up! )
When Carlos got out of the water 2 hours later we went to a burger joint in Lahaina called "Cool Cat Cafe" apparently they've been voted as having the beat burger on Maui. I've never been in Cool Cats before but I do know it's pretty popular. It's right across the street from the Lahaina Harbor in the Wharf Center and it's outdoor, upstairs and very casual.
I need to note this.....I had the strongest craving last night and all morning for Blue Cheese salad dressing??! I have no idea where the hell this is coming from?! I don't ever put creamy dressing on my salads and I never ever think of Blue Cheese dressing period! I mean, I'll eat Ranch Dressing like once a year but that's usually because I have no other option.
So, this is actually why we ended up at Cool Cats. Carlos said they have good salads there so I was all for it ( he orders take out a lot when he's working down the street ). I ordered a Cobb Salad but asked the bartender to put the chicken and bacon in an extra bowl for my man.....I then ordered 2 servings of  Blue Cheese dressing and ate every last drop of it.....? Sorry no pics....this was an unexpected detour.
Carlos had to work at 2 pm so I decided to treat myself to a massage. Again, there is absolutely no room in my budget these days for these but I don't care. I will always get one on payday at the beginning of the month..... It's one of the few vices I have left and I just refuse to give them up. Anyway,  Maui Zen Day Spa-ask for Mary Jane....she rocks.
Big Friday night off for me....laundry, sweeping/mopping, cleaning the bathroom and a failed attempt to clip Taj's nails without the aid of the Argentine.... you should now see my left forearm....that little sh*t.

FOOD LOG

Breakfast-Green Smoothie ( 1 cup Almond milk, stevia, 1.5 frozen bananas, 3 cups organic spinach )
                          
Lunch- see above-plus 1 "Raspberry Stoli" and Soda ( it's my day off....)

Dinner-Organic pasta with "Classico" Basil Tomato Sauce with goat cheese, garlic, spicy pepper flakes and red wine mixed in. Pecorino Romano flakes.
                           

No comments:

Post a Comment